Bigwoods hunters are dying

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jpwold01, Aug 31, 2016.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy the habitat work almost as much as the hunting.

2. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You seem like a hunting expert.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

[​IMG]

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry but your post quoted above appears to represent your opinion pretty clearly as well as the original point you were making. Crawfishing now after you already made a quotable post to the contrary doesn't help your standing. Be that as it may appear, I'll grant you the benefit of the doubt and assume as you say now that you just wish more shows would represent public land hunting adventure.
    I just don't see why a show that's limited to a 30 min slot on tv would bother when they have better deer and hunting available without competing with public hunters over deer. It's a lot of work to drag the camera crap around and set up. That's bad enough on private land where it's less likely some twit will walk or drive by you in the stand, let alone on public ground and for culled over and panicked deer.

5. smitty88

smitty88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bow or Die is primarily based out of the Midwest. There just arn't many big woods as your describing across IL, IA, MO, etc. Here in Iowa deer can be found near food sources and funnels. Its not the style, its the terrain.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Have you seen Josh Fletcher or Fitz? They aren't hunting over many plots that I've seen. I'm lucky enough to have family with 100 acres that butts directly up to 280,000 acres of the Shawnee National Forest so I've got the best of both worlds. we have plots and elevated hunting blinds on our private and I trek miles into the Shawnee to hunt big woods as you speak. It is two different worlds but the time and preparation that goes into managing habitat and food plots comes pretty close if not equals the physical aspect and time that goes into big woods hunting. As was stated not everyone can break away for days at a time or has access to such deep woods that isn't a 4+ hr drive. Both styles of hunting present their own challenges for sure and I think both types should be experienced by every hunter.

And also you mentioned a show where someone struggles and fails and whatnot. You should do that.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  7. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All across hunting media, whether some show on Outdoor Channel or on some interweb chatboard, there is always someone who feels the need to think their way of doing things is far superior than anyone else's.

Suddenly I feel completely inadequate for facing the challenge of the upcoming hunting season. I probably couldn't find a funnel at a gas station. :bow:

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pretty sure my problem is a lack of counting droppings. I've lost touch with that particular skill. :cry:

9. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First it is plots, then it is box blinds, then it is elevated box blinds, then its crossbows.

I will keep my Power Sword and the secrets of Greyskull, you guys can keep the plot watching.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

10. jpwold01

jpwold01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A deer deficates about 13 to 14 times a day. counting the number of piles in an area can give you an idea of how many deer are in a given area.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

11. jpwold01

jpwold01 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There's a couple of guys on the show that hunt public land one here in indiana.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

12. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    "Scatman (Ski Ba Bop Ba Dop Bop)"

As a matter of fact, don't let nothin' hold you back
    If the Scatman can do it, brother, so can you
    I'm the Scatman

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like to hunt the bigwoods and do it about 90% of the time I hunt. I like to scout and find stuff. I actually enjoy it as much or if not more than actually hunting. Finding a needle in a haystack honeyhole in the bigwoods is very satisfying to me.

14. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get your sh!t together

15. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's crazy how some of you are taking this post so personally. The OP made a legitimate point that seems to be escaping some of you.
    I'd love to be in a position to own or have permission to hunt and manage a piece of farmland or plantable private land. But for now, I'm restricted to big woods hunting, almost exclusively on public land. And the bottom line is that it's tough to find good stories, videos, tips, etc. on this style of hunting.
    Why? Simple: it's practiced far less, because the odds of success are far less. That doesn't make for good entertainment. Does that mean big woods hunters are superior hunters? No. But to imply that it's just as difficult to kill deer in or near crops or food plots is asinine. No disrespect intended to anyone. Many times, I've assisted buddies with their plots and numerous other management strategies. It's a TON of hard work. But...
    Think about it... why do we plant their food, make hinge cuts, build man-made funnels to/from areas where we already know deer bed and move? All of these things (and more) influence deer movement, and more importantly -they bring the deer to us.
    Do you see where I'm going with this?
    To each their own, but let's not pretend apples & oranges are apples & apples.
    Seriously, why bash each other here, when we could all be in the water cooler bashing Colin Kaepernick?
    To the OP: I get and agree with your original point. The shortage of information-sharing for big woods hunters sucks. It's a lot like a lefty (me) trying to test shoot new bows, before making the investment.
    Always flying blind.... story of my life! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  16. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    The same can be said for tons of aspects in hunting.. do you shoot a compound? Maybe a recurve? Heck a long bow is much more "challenging" than a recurve. Why not a spear, that would be "challenging".. If anyone thinks hunting the edge of a ag field or a plot means your gonna put down a monster needs to go try it. Maybe he meant well with his op but it came across wrong to me.

17. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's not how I interpreted his post. I read it as he believes that a lot of hunters have forgone the thought and effort of taking their game to the deer on their turf but instead manipulate the land to alter the deer's habits to the land manipulaters turf.

One cannot deny that the vast majority of food plotters would not create and maintain these food plots if they did not believe that it would increase their odds of attracting target animals. Hence, bringing the deer to the hunter, rather than the hunter going to the deer.

Whatever floats "your" boat. Hope everyone has a great season.

18. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If my property with food plots had half the deer density as mid west public land I'd gladly hunt our public land. Our public land probably boasts 1-2 deer/sq mile. While the average private land is maybe 5. Up your odds or you will hunt years without much for opportunity. Not to say I don't hunt land other than where I have food plots, because I do, but it's still private land with permission.

19. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    He is saying his method is more challenging than others.. like I said there are a lot of things that are more or less challenging. Like I said before, just because you put in a plot doesnt mean the deer will choose that over another food source or that they will be on your end of the plot. I hunt mostly over hay fields and 9 times out of 10 if I see a nice buck he is out of range. There is a lot skill to killing big deer in any situation.

20. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tend to take it personally when someone blatantly says I'm lazy and stupid because I don't hunt the way they do. I guess I'm short tempered.