Under Armour Fails To Support Sponsored Hunter

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    95% of UA's customers dont know or care about the bear spearing.. it was/is a small group of ppl crying about it and I would bet almost all of them dont own one UA product.

2. Note

Note Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This, oh man this. We've become a nation of bored, self-righteous, people who feel we need to constantly force our opinion down everyone's throat. Everyone is concerned with this guy instead of living their own life. I wished I had that easy of a life that I can scan social media to tell everyone what they are personally doing wrong.

This guy made a legal kill with a license he bought from the Canadian government of a game animal that is on the Least Concerned list in Canada, & the animal only ran 60 years before laying down & bleeding out.

My problem with UA sports gear now is that their response makes me think they have no idea of the months of prep this guy went through or what he did to get that close to the bear, so they have no idea of all that I will do to be ready & attract a deer in Oct & Nov. Knowing that, how can I trust them to produce a product to help me hunt?

I need to get new boots & was going to buy UA next month, but now it will be Danner or LaCrosse. It isn't that I am boycotting UA now, I just don't trust their products.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would be so sure they don't own UA. The company made it name by being different in the apparel industry, being Green and ethical. That kind of stuff tree hugging yuppies eat up.

4. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    Still, I think they may have misjudged the number of hunters vs non hunters that would give a ****.

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You're probably right. But if UA didn't respond and basically agree with the small group of people who did complain, that small group of people would let the world know UA sided with the hunter. Unfortunately the louder voice, or biggest whiner, usually wins in these cases.

6. Pitman

Dislikes Received:
    This wasnt Cecil the lion.. the outcry wasnt going to be significant.

7. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the first two paragraphs. Not so much with the second two. I don't have any problems with the quality of their gear. The stuff I have is great and am very disappointed to see them react the way they did. I'm not gonna stop wearing what I have but like JZ said, I'll probably reach for something else next time I shop.

I bought a pair of $100 Danner waterproof boots for spring turkey season this year. They were Danner's made in China and frankly, they sucked balls. Took them back and got a pair of UA boots for the same price. They were much better and more comfortable. I won't buy UA in the future but it isn't because they make bad products, it will be because of their position on the bear hunt.

8. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    I bet not. They didn't get to where they are by chance. They know their customer makeup better than we do.

9. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. They know what percentage of their market is hunting and what they stood to loose. We hunters were obviously not enough of their market to care.

10. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    I think you are over estimating the number of hunters that actually care. Most don't.

11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It would have been nice for UA to have this open discussion with this group and that group to try to educate the anti's on the value hunters have to wildlife and the economy before they made their decision.

When hunters stop being a part controlling the numbers of wild game on this earth, the governments will have to do it by poisoning the Animals like 1080 used in New Zealand or sharp shooters at night like in AUS and they won't have our money to pay for it.

I'm up to about $12k on a chance to try take an Elk with my bow this year and thats just one hunt and doesn't include any of my gear. How much do you think a hiker or bird watcher spend for a week in the woods?

12. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I hope I'm not. Hunters need to care about this or the anti-hunting population that always seems to get their voice heard whether they are right or not will continue to control what we love to do.

13. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If UA was a "hunting" only brand, then i would feel stronger about it. But its not.

I get everything your saying and i HATE giving geound to the antis, but in this situation there isnt really much that can be done.

Hoyt, Dodge and the Drurys are all affiliated with UA as well, should we boycott them too?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

14. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    I like you line of thinking but I think we could talk and discuss this with anti-hunters until we were blue in the face and they wouldn't change their belief about hunting. Nor do I think UA would have reconsidered in their decision. The anti-hunters don't want to believe, and wouldn't admit if they did, hunters are a huge driving force in animal and habitat conservation. They think leaving the land as it is and letting nature do it's thing will let it control itself. Anti-hunters think all we do is run around the woods shooting anything we can or harming innocent animals is a crime. They don't stop to consider where the meat comes from they buy in the grocery store and choose to ignore the way beef, chicken and turkey is produced in our country.

I didn't hear any uproar over the documentary "Food Inc." To me, it's way more graphic and depicts the cruelty animals endure so big business can put meat in our nations grocery stores. Along with the strangle hold the Monsanto Corporation has on the soy bean farmers in the mid west.

15. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Very True. My thought is more toward Non-hunters than the Anti-hunters. Lets make sure were not turning Non-hunters into Anti-hunters because of lack of info and realization of the real world.

I was a fisherman my whole life and a non-hunter up until 7 years ago when a fishing bubbly told me about hunting with compound bows and I've been hooked ever since. I just accepted the fact that I've eaten meat my whole life and now it was time to Man-Up and take these animals myself. I appreciate what I eat so much more and Never waste or over eat. This stuff is precious to me after how hard I've worked to get it to the table.

To be an Anti-Hunter is to be an Elitist to put yourself higher than every other living creature because others kill and grow the food that sustains you.

16. nmwilcox84

nmwilcox84 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think there is more to the story than we are getting. As Under Armour sponsors Cameron Hanes a bowhunter and Lee and Tiffany Bowhunters!!! They also sponsor John Dudley and NocK On the best archery show followed by bowhunt or die but they do not sponsor bowhunt or die. These are just my two favorite bowhunting shows. So if you have not check Nock On out yet get on it! People like to make things a big deal without the whole story like the safe act people associate that with the government taking our guns and that has never been the point of the act but instead to make it harder for dangerous people to get them. I will still stand by Under Armour and other brands I believe in, because this is AMERICA and I can!

17. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Uhhhhh... What?

Maybe we don't know the whole story, but we do know that UA shared the bear hunt pictures when it happened. Now they're calling it reckless and saying they don't condone it. That's enough for me not to support them.

Spear hunting is just one step down from bowhunting. If that can be made illegal over one hunt then bowhunting is just as vulnerable. IMO.

18. Buckaholic84

Buckaholic84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are already attacking bowhunting, PETA and defense of animals both portray bowhunting horrible and inhumane and for them to see how easy this was is going to fuel their fire even more.....our sport will be the next attack thats why it is important that we are heard and united on this issue

19. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    If there is more to the story I'd love to hear it. Other wise we just have to go on what we know and the rest is speculation. You're not gonna get Cam Hayes or any other UA sponsored hunter to say anything bad about UA right now, unless they want to loose their sponsorship, and the Bowmar's, to my knowledge haven't said anything. UA sponsors a lot of hunters and I hope they realize if they do something UA feels is reckless, but within the laws, they won't support them. Good luck!

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you're saying I can still wear my UA stuff? Whewwww

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk