Hunting with pre-teen Daughter.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by remmett70, Aug 22, 2016.

1. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Took my daughter with me a couple times last fall, we were just in a ground blind and didn't see anything. She also sat a morning with me during Rifle season also, not seeing anything. So far she has shown a lot of interest, but I worry that unless I get her in the woods and actually see deer, she will quickly lose that interest. I think I have a good spot on some public land. Small 8point on camera that was only set for a week or so. I'm hoping to have her with me early season as I fill a doe tag to see how she responds to also seeing a deer killed and cleaned. If she is still interested after that, I will feel better about starting to spend money on better hunting clothing and getting her a bow to start shooting herself.

With that, I'm planning on bringing down my ladder stand from my normal hunting land and setting it up for her, and carrying in a hang-on for me. I will hang my stand from the platform of the ladder stand so I won't need to drag climbing sticks with me.

One issue that will be tough to deal with is potty breaks. The few times last year, she had to use the facilities a couple times each sit. I've fabricated a padded seat onto a cutout piece of plywood that fits on an empty drywall pail. I'm either going to raise and lower it each time, or if it will fit just leave it under the fold up seat of the ladder stand. I never put the safety railing on the stand when I use it, but I am going to for her. Partially for safety, and also so I can drape it with some camo cloth to hid her lower body as she uses the facility, and also because she can use her ipad or kindle to keep her from getting bored to quick.

Any other suggestions on how to have the best chance of a successful hunt with a 10 year old girl with a short term bladder and attention span would be appreciated.

2. ABN Panzer

ABN Panzer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Without getting too graphic... Check out a device called Sheewee. They have it at amazon.
    Tt will allow her to pee in a similar fashion to guys. Had female soldiers attached to my unit that had used these and spoke highly of the device. One benefit would be allowing her to 'pee' into a bottle/similar that could be closed up and not affect potential scent issues of the game smelling something.

3. Rob Nicholson

Rob Nicholson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted with my daughter daughter last year (8 years old at the time) it was an amazing experience. Definitely helped that we saw deer and actually took a doe with the bow (double ladder stand) and a doe with the rifle (blind). My daughter is a complete girly girl but is now hooked on hunting. I recommend lots of snacks and an electronic device like an iPad or iPhone. Luckily her bladder is better then mine but I have heard great things about the sheewee. Good luck!