Stand location Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by coreysadams91, Aug 22, 2016.

1. coreysadams91

coreysadams91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

So I recently received free range of my Father in laws property for the upcoming season. After 2 weekends of a scouting I have a good grasp on the situation. I have acess to the 4 stands detonated on the map with red dots along the outskirts of the bottom. However I haven't noticed much activity there other than a few doe and the stands/blind are better set up for rifle. I followed the game trail denoated in yellow along the creek denoted in blue on the map. There is heavy activity along the creek. After about an hour I located what I believe is the bedding area across the creek which is super swampy and dense. I found the primary crossing route, with multiple sets of tracts taveling both directions, where the 2 creeks meet. About 50 yards from the crossing point there is a stand of white oaks with acorns all over the ground. I'm thinking this is my best bet for a stand. There is a known 10 pointer and 8pointer that frequent the area, but no one with access bow hunts so I have a jump on everyone in the area. Should I stay put in the bottom or continue with my plan I laid out and get a stand or two in the oaks? I'm relatively new to bow hunting so any advice or suggestions are welcome!

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You might first start with a plan to catch them going to and from the Oaks. You can some times end up with swirling wind in the bottom if you aren't careful.

3. coreysadams91

coreysadams91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The terrain along the crest of the spur is pretty dense at the moment lots of vegetation, not many shooting lanes but it really opens up in the oaks and with almost a clear view of the crossing point, which is why I was thinking that location.

4. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    That is the hard part about giving advice. You've been there and seen it, I'm looking an over-head view. I'm basing my guess off of areas that we have similar to what you are describing. Play the wind the best you can and go for it.

Good Luck!!

5. coreysadams91

coreysadams91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It's appreciated! I'm going solely off the countless hours I've spent reading on the topic this summer. As I said before no one in the area really bow hunts, so everything I've learned has been on my own. I just want to take full advantage of the property and not confine myself to the bottom.

6. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    You're welcome.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan in place.
    Let us know how it turns out.

7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd look for a couple places near the road especially during or right after harvest. One on the edge of the clearing where you can see into the corner where the yellow lines comes up by the road. Another one or two spots in the woods closer to the road. Probably would be good late afternoon or early morning as they move to and from the woods and corn/beans. also way up in the north on the point of the trees facing back into the woods. having a chance both left and right as deer move up that end towards the fields also.

Definitely in the Oaks as well when they drop.

8. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely key in on those oaks in the early part, especially if you can see that crossing. Early bow may end up being as much a scouting mission as anything else. Good luck, it looks killer.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

9. coreysadams91

coreysadams91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

It's definitely going to turn into that. This is the aerial of behind the house which I have permission to hunt as well. But once again I am new to bow hunting so I'm trying to compartmenalize it all at the moment.

10. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are they using the beans yet? If so I like the pathway leading to the beans but swim near that white blob on the map. Get that buck in the light when he is up out of his bed and enroute to those beans.

Where is a topo?

By the looks maybe a ditch runs to the east of that yellow trail to the north of that white blob. That should move those deer around that ditch which is a good spot too. Plus with the field to the west it should funnel them in that spot.

Just a thought.

11. coreysadams91

coreysadams91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    They are still taking beans from the upper fields beyond the house currently so those directly across the road are untouched and being feasted on.

The territory east of the yellow line(game trail) is a hill with the lowest point being the creek(blue line). Where the white blob (white oaks) are it drops off and levels out with the crossing being back to flat land

12. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say especially early season stay on the oaks and hope for acorns

13. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks for dropping acorns on that east side runway.

Problem on my farm I hunt is too much feed. There is corn, alfalfa and acorns everywhere and water everywhere as well. Way too much roaming freedom. I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Best thing to do is download Huntstand and just start mapping things you find. Once you start mapping it will all start to come together.

14. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    Stick to the acorns for early season success deer will feed on acorns first before other things usually until the food starts to go away then they will move to other food sources especially if you have white acorns they are their very first option for food normally check out growing deer tv for more info they have subpar hunting videos compared to BHOD but their videos on deer habits and movement patterns are pretty good.

15. coreysadams91

coreysadams91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the app recommendation!

16. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    i to use this app hunt stand it is wonderfull and also mine tells me which way the wind will be going for the following 72 hours so i can set the wind gauge on my stand and it will tell me the area i am most likely to get busted in

17. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    I just looked at your picture a little more in depth again, I was at work before. if some how you could get a tree stand set up around those white oaks you will be golden but i dont know if that is possible with what you have access to or are allowed to do. happy hunting buddy. usually the deer will have a bedding area close to the food and the creek so if you can find a stand that is maybe facing north in your picture so you can see the field to your slight left and into the woods a bit to your right or vice versa facing to the north west that may work too but im guessing the stand should face north east that bottom right stand looks promising from the above photo. the reason i say this is because it is the closest to the acorns also it is near the creek and that trail that you found so if the deer are cruising that trail early season when the rut comes on the does will probably want to bed somewhere near that trail and the food that the stands surround which will be a perfect pinch point for the bucks come rut time also early season the does will be traveling to the food right before bed. just my two cents on which stand i would be hunting.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  18. coreysadams91

coreysadams91 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There's a couple decent locations along that yellow route that they like to take to the beans but it's a lot more open in the oaks with the added benefit being the acorns. I'm trying to get my wife to let me invest in a trail cam or two lol but trying we are trying to buy a house so she's penny pinching me, can't even buy a dern can of dip without hearing about it.

But I figure as long as I'm along that route I have a solid spot. I just really wanna take advantage of being the only bow Hunter on the property.

I have another 17acre piece in the neighboring county that I am inheriting from my Grandparents but I'm putting tons of work into for next season. But that's a disscussion for a different time all its own.

19. JesseHunts

Dislikes Received:
    i know the feeling cant buy dip with my gf either i swear.