Whisker biscuit help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Donkey Deerz, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Donkey Deerz

Donkey Deerz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm very new to archery and have only been shooting a few months but practice daily 20-50 arrows and have decent groups out to 50 yards ....Having said that my whisker biscuit seems to be wearing out on the top and right but not any on the left. Is it something I'm doing, does it need tuned? How long do they last? Thanks in advance! ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1471725134.035905.jpg

2. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As long as the black bristles are good and not affecting your accuracy, I would say your good. If your second guessing, take it to a shop and have them check the center shot and your nock location on your string.

3. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No offense and I hope none is taken but if you are able to (money wise) I would go to your shop and buy a drop away. You can find one and a decent one at that for $60 or less. They help with accuracy and are going to result in much more consist groups. Then your whisker biscuit problem will be solved! Trophy taker makes very good drop away for the money.

4. kerrek

kerrek Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Unless it's like my Octane drop away and sounds like a .300 magnum going off. Noisiest rest I've ever heard!

5. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Something must have been loose... They are silent. Try the ripcord.

6. rajela

rajela Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a Ripcord Ace...

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not a WB fan here, to much changing weather and temperatures besides the issue with slowing down my arrows.
    I have Smackdowns and QAD's on my bows and would recommend either of them as being very good, dependable and quiet rests.

8. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There's nothing wrong with a WB. I used one for years and keep it as a backup rest. I will say that a drop away is a lot more forgiving for down range accuracy past 30 yards and your groups will shrink down considerably. To each their own though.

9. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Move it slightly right and up...

It is normal that they wear after a while, but if it<s uneven wear like in your case... it might be off a bit.

Whisker are good beginners rests and I used them for about four years. I even got my first moose bull and first bear with a Whisker biscuit, so there's nothing wrong using them. And like anything else, they need a bit of care and tuning.

But like others said, when you get a chance and have about $100 to spare, try a drop away rest.

I tried a QAD HDX, and never looked back...

10. bigEhaw

bigEhaw Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree the drop aways are the way to go. Whisker biscuits are great for bowfishing though!

11. Donkey Deerz

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you all for your help! I will definitely check some of those out.

12. jtreat

jtreat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't let these guys get you down about a whisker biscuit. I have a high dollar fall away in the extra part bin and just can't get rid of mine. I would not worry about the wear that is normal if you shoot a lot. Mine looks like that and is still shooting little bitty groups.

Attached Files:

13. Donkey Deerz

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I don't doubt it's accuracy. I was just wondering why it isn't wearing the same and how to tweak or correct it. I have shot through it a lot but shot these today at 50 yards. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1471751583.548185.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1471751601.910387.jpg So I haven't really had any accuracy issue and have done these at 20 to 30 yards over the past couple of months ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1471751706.232431.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1471751728.933841.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1471751751.104431.jpg ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1471751763.218377.jpg I really like the simplicity of it but if they wear out quick wouldn't I be better off getting a fall away rather than buying a WB a time or two a year?

14. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think something has changed in WB's manuf process. I have one I bought in 2004 and my son is still shooting it in two leagues and a lot of backyard practice. Looks like the day I bought it, except back then they didn't have the rubber bumpers where the arrow loaded, it was felt and that is long gone. The bristles however look new.

I was using it until last summer, I had to buy a new WB that had vertical adjustment because I had a bow that was a nightmare to tune for BHs. I shot it maybe 3 mos before switching to a drop away and it was noticeably worn bad. My son chose to keep the old one.

I absolutely LOVE my Medusa Max rest by Bowfinger, but would not hesitate to drop a WB back on my No Cam or Obsession if needed.

15. kerrek

kerrek Newb

Dislikes Received:
    spent $80 on this drop away, not going to chance another and see if it's any better.

16. JesseHunts

JesseHunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a whisker biscuit for many years because it was a cheaper rest and thats what my dad wanted for us kids because we were hard on things. not so much anymore, my girlfriend has my old bow with the same rest as yours. the bristles look the same way and they havent affected anything due to her accuracy. you should be fine you can go to a shop and get a replacement biscuit for like 10-15 USD. if you are really worried about it.