The OFFICIAL thread for PUBLIC LAND hunting.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most definitely counts! If u don't own the property and multiple people hunt the property. It sounds like public land to me

2. MOGC

MOGC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt public land here in the Missouri Ozark's. The smallest block of land I hunt is about 30,000 acres. I love the big timber. I've hunted farms before and I hate listening to cars on the road, horns honking, tractors or lawn mowers, dogs barking, kids yelling and seeing people moving around your hunting area. Where I hunt I very rarely ever hear a man made sound. Once in a great while I might hear a vehicle going down a gravel road but that is a rare thing. I'm in an elk restoration area and hear bull elk bugle, we have a strong bear population here and I've seen a big bear once, it is a place that list high in the books for documented mountain lion sightings and to top it off there are plenty of wild hogs along the river corridor. That's besides the deer, turkey, squirrels, rabbit, crows, songbirds and woodpeckers, fox, bobcat, coyotes, otters, hawks, owls and eagles. I like the wildlife, the quiet, the solitude, knowing that I could hike 15 - 20 miles before coming to a gravel road in the middle of nowhere. No farms for this guy...

3. Ram_n_arrows

Ram_n_arrows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice public land buck. I get pictures of him pretty often. And I think if the 8 presents a shot , I may take it.
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    Any guesses on age?
    Thinking the 10 is 3-4 and the 8 is 2-3. Not too sure though.

4. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had only seen does when I was out on opening day. I did run into some other hunters and they told me that there were some nice 3 points about 3 - 4 draws over from where I last hunted Wednesday morning. If all works out according to plan, I might head up there this coming Wednesday.

5. treyman654

treyman654 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be on public grounds this fall. A National Wildlife Refuge to be exact. Rules here are strange, the refuge is closed up until season opener...I cannot put boots on the ground to scout my actual hunting location. Also stands have to be removed each day as well as blinds. Trail cameras cannot be left overnight. My spot I will be hunting is only a tip I have received from many hunters utilizing this same spot over the years. I am left to only glass over the area. This is my first year doing this and by gosh has it been rough. I am putting all my eggs in one basket as I am new to this state and area.

We will see how this goes my actual boots on the ground work wont start until sept 2nd - Season Opener.

6. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You hunting Allegan Public land?

7. Jeffrey Jones

Jeffrey Jones Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will be heading out to public land tomorrow to scout I'm pretty excited!!!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

8. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I found a killer public land spot last season and have scouted it hard this year. I always thought that the fence next to the road was private land, until I came upon the real private land fence. Only the meadows below are private. I have done a ton of work in the thick draws full of spruce, aspen, and pine.
    I cleared the trails the deer use to get down to the meadows, made entry and exit routes to 4 treestands and a ground blind, and been checking some traicams. I think I have the place to myself, haven't seen any evidence of other hunters at all! HUNT0020.jpg

9. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Public land is kicking my butt this year. I've only seen one buck on public land. Everything else has been private lands.

10. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some. This year I'm trying Barry exclusively. Gonna try to focus my efforts in one area. Hopefully it pays off. We'll see.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  11. Il_public_land_hunter

Il_public_land_hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does this happen to be the Bartlett lottery spot? My buddy has drawn a tag for this spot every year. I have been trying/ praying to get it for 4yrs. I live 2 miles from that spot and have not gotten it yet. Grrr

12. Il_public_land_hunter

Il_public_land_hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my buddy used to hunt it all the time. Took both of my archery deer there. Only problem is there is a TON of pressure so we stopped going. That and you can only hunt it in October part of November and January due to I think dove hunting

13. 1jody256

1jody256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have 46000 acres in my back yard that is public land,i have hunted it since 1973 and love it more each year!deer #s have gone down the last 10 years but some p&y bucks have been arrowed here,and there still some out there ,seen a 20" buck killed

last year!nice buck for central florida

14. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do some public with family at home. I'm not going back to Wi after not getting trail cams of a dandy on public land. Planning on drawing an iowa tag

15. Bmiller23

Bmiller23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt mostly private here in Nj, but I have found some nice looking public in DE. Went and scouted and seems to be nice ground just not sure how crowded. It is nice to have a change of scenery less than 2hrs away. We are headed down Wednesday for their opener on Thursday. I'll keep ya posted.

Any DE public land hunters out there?

Brian

16. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will help you out any way I can. I have a great place I will share with you if you can use a climber. We just have a small rut window of opportunity

17. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really appreciate that. I've used a climber before. I sold mine though and went with a light weight hang on and sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    I have two! We need to hook up around Nov 1st

19. rsf31tmp

Dislikes Received:
    we could hit several places if you don't mind the drive

20. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received: