***The Nasty Nines - Team 9***

Discussion in '2016 Deer Contest' started by CToutdoorsman, Aug 15, 2016.

1. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome brother 40 years of bow hunting

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, 40 years of bowhunting is quite an accomplishment. I got a fairly late start in bowhunting. I think this is either my 9th or 10th season. It took me a few years to get things figured out, but I have been fortunate to take a buck with my bow each of the last 6 season, and all but one of those bucks have came off my 40 acres. The other buck was taken off some public land about 4 miles away.

3. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome bucks!
    And yes, 49 years of bowhunting is an accomplishment. The changes in tech that you've witnessed firsthamd.. wow!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Those are some good bucks hopefully you get a monster to move in during season!!

5. Mr_BS

Mr_BS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We'll, went and pulled the card from my camera behind my house last night. Got some does coming in on a regular basis. Only one young 8. And some dude walking thru in shorts and flip flops..... I was getting pics of a few bucks before he had came thru there last week.

6. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bucks! Hopefully the spot I'm saving for the rut pays off. It's got a split creek going through it with plenty of doe traffic. I've seen bucks chasing does into there

7. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started off stick and string, then quickly went into what they called compounds back then. Have seen a lot of changes in the bowhunting world when it comes to gear etc. Funny thing is, guys were killing good deer back in the day with what would be considered ancient equipment today.

Treestands, hah............buncha two by fours nailed into a tree and railroad ties used as steps.

Arrows were all wood then and as compounds evolved they went to aluminum and now we have carbon.

Overdraws on the first compounds were all the rage for a few years, allowed you to have a 29 inch draw with as short as 21 inch arrows and even shorter, thus increasing your FPS.

I could go on and on but we would be here all day. Hunting is hunting, you get into it, would you put into it.

Dave

8. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sparrowhawk checking in!! Sorry I am late to the party, been doing a lot of house remodeling trying to make the wife happy before hunting season!!! :) I am hunting SW MI, but the hunting here sure hasn't been great the last few years when it comes to number of mature bucks. I wasn't very impressed with my first camera pull of 4 cameras, the cameras had been out for a month, and biggest buck was pry pushing 110inches. Good news is I will be heading back to Missouri Nov 5-7, same area where I shot a 148" I was1.5 inches short of the 200pt club last year, sure would like to make it happen this year, always have hope!!! ;) Nice to see a few familiar names here, looks like a very solid team!

9. CToutdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    it is amazing to look at old bows for me it was the bear re curve and i never thought i could harvest a deer with it but you can with the perfect shot!

10. KYBowHunter8

KYBowHunter8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Goals in life: 1. Bowhunt for 40 years :lol:

Those are some nice bucks Skywalker, I would take one that size this year.

I got the chance to sit til dark in my little honey hole last night. Like clockwork all the bucks came beat bopping out in a single file line at 6:30. Unfortunately, with my binos I got a better look then the few days prior. There is 2, eight pointers that MIGHT push 130 and one big 6 point if it has brow tines I couldn't tell. I've kinda decided this will be a good year to focus more on my wife getting her first deer with a bow. Can't spoil her on a giant her first serious year of bowhunting haha If one of these 8's is still in velvet and my wife isn't there, he's still definitely getting an arrow slung his direction.

11. KYBowHunter8

KYBowHunter8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also got my stand moved just off the trail they used to enter and exit the field. Got covered up in deer ticks and probably poison ivy in the process, but hey you gotta love early season in Ky! Anyways, ready to rock and roll this season! What days do yall's seasons open up???

12. CToutdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    15th of September, I am a college student so i will be a weekend warrior since i am an hour from home and if i have nothing down by December when i go on break then i will be living in my stand!

13. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like we still have 3 that are awol. Hopefully they will get checked in pretty soon so we can name a captain, and come up with a team name.

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    We open on Sept 15th. I used to get off work at 3:30 so I got in quite a few evening sits during the week, but I took a promotion so I don't get off until 5:00 now. So, mostly weekends for me until November. I have 2 weeks of vacation left to burn. I always take the week off leading up to Rifle season and I've done the majority of my damage during that time.

15. CToutdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just checked the lasst camera and hung one more in a new area, i set up a few mock scrapes and wont go back till season so it has a little under a month to rest so i should be good :tu:

16. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    September 24th is opening day here in Tennessee,can't wait

17. mikerock85

mikerock85 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys sorry been on the road a few days for work checking in now... can't wait October 1st begins my season

18. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the team.

19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I checked my cam's today. I had a couple new bucks show up, but only one potential shooter.

[​IMG]

20. aaron21

aaron21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be checking my camera when I get back home from out of town tomorrow. Hopefully a buck has shown up