Night Hunting In Wisconsin!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BUCKS UP, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is true.

2. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    O.k guy's you do know that tribes limit the amount of game taken? Here we are allowed one deer every 2 month's and one elk every 6 month's!! Some tribes have season's 2 granted it is more liberal than the state allows, but they have a quota that once it's reached the season ends. Also on tribal gillnetting they have a quota for salmon two and they work with the state to set there quota. Just thought I would throw some facts out there for you!!

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Facts are great and I don't have much issue with allowing native Americans and subsistence living people more leeway, but I don't understand how allowing night hunting has anything specifically to do with honoring a 200 year old treaty. Again no problem with expanded limits and seasons.
    Will they be required do destroy the antlers like subsistence hunters in Alaska are required?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    According to the treaty the State can not tell the natives that they can not hunt in the ceded territory, the method does not matter the tribe simply notified the state what their plan was for the hunt to happen. The state has no power to disallow the tribe from hunting anytime day or night or weapon used or other equipment used as well.

5. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Subsistence hunters in Alaska are not natives, the native hunters up there don't have too they usually make carvings and other art work out of there's. They sell there work to the tourists that go there, why do you think natives should have to destroy there antlers on game they take?

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've enjoyed reading this thread.
    I can see the point about this being more about defining what the state has authority to regulate being there is an old treaty that grants the unregulated act of hunting and taking game.

If the treaty did not set any limitations then it's cut and dried. I would applaud the tribes for self regulation in the interest of conservation. From what I've seen with the conservation departments and DNR, the tribes would probably be more reasonable and responsible than either department anyway.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    we have no right to say squat to the Native Americans about anything. I don't think we cared what they thought when we demolished the American Bison almost to extinction. What was the daily bag limit on those?

8. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen it with my own eyes. Come to the lake I live on 3-5 days after the ice goes out next spring. You can see it too.

I have been to many boat landing in the last 25 years during spearing. I have seen:

Spear "fisherman" stripping the spawn on to the parking lot from 12#+ Walleyes and 40# Muskies exclaiming "Less fish for the white man".

A 5 year old boy looking at a 6" Walleye his Dad speared and ask "Why would you spear such a small fish?".

2 Spear "fisherman" taking 150 Walleyes in 45 minutes. 2 guys with spears, in 45 minutes can set the bag limit for the rest of the world.

Spear "fisherman" taking 170 Walleyes knowing if they took 169 or less they rest of the world could keep some but now NO NONE else can. ZERO bag limit for everyone else. Many years in a row.

Each spear "fisherman" gets a permit for 30 fish, only 2 over 20". In theory 1 over 20" and 1 oops (thought it was under but was 21"). I seen 2 guys on Big Twin Lake go spear 4 Walleyes that were 10-15# and say the could find any smaller ones. Then GLIFWC (Great Lakes Indian Fish and Wildlife Commission-the ones that monitor the spearing) give them 2 more permits. 20 minutes later they come in with 4 more monster Walleyes and say we can't find any smaller ones. 2 new permits and back out.....until they had 200+ monsters. All just for spite.

Spear "fisherman" going to bars/restaurants offering to sell "Fresh Walleyes". One time I was in Briggs bar and they had no takers. When we left there was 46 Walleyes dumped in the middle of the road directly in front of the door. Sad to say that night they speared 46 Walleyes from the lake I live on.

TRUCKLOADS of dead stinking Walleyes dumped year after year, because the didn't feel like cleaning them. THIS YEAR AGAIN. I can show them to you if you want.

Our world has changed drastically since the treaties were signed in 1856. NO ONE should be spearing. OR Deer hunting after dark.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would honestly like to see that Whitetail, not being sarcastic or doubting.

10. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    O.k you put it out there now back it up with picture proof are video!! Can you provide a link to the local paper? I like researching this kind of stuff and if what you say is true the newspaper will be all over it.

11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If all this is true that puts a spin on things

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thing is you hear stories like this and it is always I know a guy who heard about it, never documented.

13. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a true story for you, the winter of 2000 and 2001 some people started killing the trophy bucks and just taking there heads!! Everyone and I mean everyone blamed the natives it got pretty ugly!! Come to find out it was a bunch of non-natives from the other side of the Cascades that were doing it!! Come to find out they had been doing it for years and only that year did they get caught because they got to greedy! When one of them was telling ratting out what ever you want to call it, he said they knew that everyone would blame the natives! That is a true story!!

14. Bred Fear

Bred Fear Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Legal or not much of what I see from the Natives by my hunting cabin in nothing more than thrill killing/stick it to whitey. Just calling a spade a spade. Lots of examples out there. Kentucky Lake Vilas County, Pile of speared muskies left to rot on the boat launch. This spring Hayward WI classifieds has speared musky meat for sale. Nothing the DNR can do, cuz the treaty and all.

16973cc7ce356908cb4d81e1c83469c9.jpg
    Shooting of antlerless moose by Lac du Flambeau member all over Facebook - Outdoornews

15. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I reread my post. All I said it true. I have seen it with my own eyes.

Try the Lakeland Times, Vilas County News Review or The Rhinelander Daily News when they started spearing in the late 80s. Channel 12 News had video of the boat landings with all the issues at that time too. Search for Crescent Lake. There was a list in the Milwaukee Journal or Sentinel of the names of the people ticked at a boat landing......of that list I knew over 80 people. It got so bad that non-spears were not allowed at any boat landing. If I went to a boat landing while the spearers were there and got out of my truck, I would get a disorderly conduct citation. Never had to say a word.

How about the 2 guys about 10 years ago speared 44 Walleyes in a 200 acre lake ALL 10-14#, hid them in the bushes before they got to the boat landing to count/measure fish. Later they came back and picked them up. They got caught. It was in all the papers. It made me physically sick. All they got is a slap on the wrist. IF anyone else did that it could be jail time.

Most people have no idea what actually goes on. Come up north next spring and see some of the 32,000+ Walleyes SPEARED EVERY YEAR. I know they are used for ceremonial purposes and to eat. BUT 32,000 every year? Go ask local restaurant/bars/grocer if they are approached every year to buy fresh walleyes. Sit on my dock and watch a 50+ year old guy with a tear in his eye and a sick feeling in his stomach as the "spear fisherman" go by.

I have nothing against the Indians. I don't care if it is people that are left handed, drive Ford trucks, are born on the 4th of the month or who ever. No one should be spearing 32,000+ Walleyes every year.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  16. Pine tops

Pine tops Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a Native America and do not have knowledge of what state or federal laws apply to the reservation but as a somewhat sovereign nation they should be in control and manage the natural resources within their boundaries.