arrow selection help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunter728, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Bowhunter728

Bowhunter728 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hey guys and gals. sorry i haven't been posting in a while life got in the way for a little bit hahaha. now that i have a little bit more time now that i graduated the police academy i need a good selection of arrows. i mainly would like a practice and hunting arrows. i'm getting some targets now from online and don't wanna ruin or lose my hunting arrows. so my question is this should i get all the same arrows for both or a selection for both practice and hunt. my bow is a PSE stinger x with 60lb draw and 28 DL. any help is much appreciated :nana:

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For consistency I shot the same set of arrows. I keep two dozen on hand and weigh everyone. I like it so I know that might nocks are tight and everything flies the the way its supposed to.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  3. J.H.

J.H. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my opinion is to practice with what you plan to hunt with.

4. Bowhunter728

Dislikes Received:
    In your opinion what is a good hunting arrow?.

5. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with the above statements. Unless you have another bow that you dedicate only to target shooting, I would shoot the same arrows for both hunting and target. Less adjusting that way.

6. bow nut

bow nut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gold tips for hunting, to be more exact, kinetics

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to use different arrows for hunting and practice. Like cheaper arrows to beat up in practice and a more expensive/better to save for hunting, look at the Beman ICS Hunter line. They produce 3 grades of arrows all of which have the same weight and components. The only difference is in the straightness rating of the shaft. The ICS Bowhunter can be bought for around $6.50 apiece and has a .006 straightness up to the ICS Precision Hunter that costs around $10-$11 per arrow with a .001 rating. The ICS Hunter Classic fits inbetween

8. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the axis arrows.

9. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot ICS hunters for awhile. I won a half dozen easton da torch arrows so tried them out. The difference between an entry level and premium arrow shocked me to be honest. I shoot nothing but da torches now. They dont come cheap though from $15-$18 CAD

10. VERMONTSTER_0341

VERMONTSTER_0341 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Easton axis. Slim diameter, the gpi is fairly high so you end up with(usually) a little heavier arrow which I personally like, and they are tough as nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Always shoot the same, Easton Axis.

12. boilerman

boilerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also shoot a PSE and I had used Easton full metal jackets for years and last year switched to the maxima reds. I should have stayed with the eastons but went for the new due to adds. The maxima reds are overpriced and my Easton just felt better. Now that I have them I am going to use them. Buy arrows that do both as you want your hunting arrows to land the same as where your target arrows land. But now the arrows are all pretty close in tolerances and it is pretty much personal preference. Just make sure you spine them right.

13. Bowhunter728

Dislikes Received:
    awesome guys thanks for all of the advice. much appreciated. like i said i just didn't know where to go for arrows due to so many arrow selections now. i have vforces now which are actually pretty good i just wanted something else for that just in case moment

14. flatwoodshunter

flatwoodshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  15. ICSFreak

ICSFreak Newb

Dislikes Received:
    practice with whatever...your form is what you want to make sure is up to par. if your form is good, and your bow is sighted it then your shots should be right on. maybe shoot 20 practice arrows at a time then shoot a group of three hunting arrows and make your adjustments from there. I start the season with 6 new arrows shoot them all, take the 3 that group the tightest and put them aside. those three I use for my hunting arrows. then I practice with the other 3 and whatever I have left over from previous years. the last time I shoot before the season starts I shoot those 3 hunting arrows. works well for me. good luck out there.