Trail Cam Placement for Beginners

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by adamb22587, Aug 15, 2016.

1. adamb22587

adamb22587 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently was given permission to hunt some new ground for that I am unfamiliar with and wanted to use some trail cameras to try and see what was around. However, the landowner lets his cattle roam for a majority of the year. This is making it difficult for me to find good quality areas to hang the cameras. Or maybe it is just my inexperience in determining the deer travel routes vs. cow paths pounded out over the years. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice on where I should start? Thank in advance for your help!

2. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trail camming is a lot of fun because you never know what will show. If there is crop ground around, I would set a cam between the corn and the woods. A lot of times bucks will travel along this line or a spot in the fence where they might cross is a good spot. If it is just woods, find the thickest area and put the cam on the edge of it. Mostly point your cameras north or south if possible. If cam is on a trail, aim camera at about a 30 degree angle down the trail so you get a good pic of the deer coming or going. Hope this helps. Scoot

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hang them about 6 feet off the ground. It is a cool shot angle and it keeps it out of the way of the cows.

4. adamb22587

adamb22587 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it.