My first bear hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by junkerjorg, Aug 8, 2016.

1. junkerjorg

junkerjorg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For the first time I have been drawn in Wisconsin for a bear tag this year and I am so stoked for this hunt to get here! I had a bait sight set up for this bear about 100 yards to the west of where this pic was taken. For some reason he really likes this spot and what's left of my deer feeder. He knocked the feeder over a few weeks ago, snapped the welds on the legs and at one point, took off with the barrel. I found it 60 yards to the south. I chained the barrel to the tree to keep him from taking off with it again. And, this last Saturday I moved my bait sight over near the barrel to try and keep him coming around. Any suggestions from seasoned bear hunters on what I should do to help keep him around for the 29 days?

image.jpg

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Keep the bear hunters that run dogs away.

3. junkerjorg

junkerjorg Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had anyone running dogs in my area so I think I am ok there.

4. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use French Fries oil. You can easily get them a small restaurants and fries stands.
    They like it so much they actually dig up and eat the dirt where it spilled. And on top of that, every time they step in the oil, it stick to their paws and leaves a scent trail wherever they go, dragging in other bears to your site...

You can leave the oil in a 5 gallon pail strapped to a tree, or chain an old tire and fill the bottom with oil.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Most places will not let you take oil here in the states, heck there have been cases where people have stole used fryer oil. The thieves then resell it to places that buy it and make biofuels from it.