8 Great Occupations for the Diehard Bowhunter

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Jul 29, 2016.

1. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    X trucker with almost 6wks vacation. Blend that with a few holidays and dats alota hunting time brutha's

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've worked alot of shift work with my job as an Industrial Electrician. My bosses were flexible with my hours. Midnights was ok if you could get the sleep down but limited the morning hunts. 2nd shift is opposite (no evening hunts) and is what i work now. Flexible hrs plus 6 weeks of time off isn't too bad. Had to work here 13 yrs to get that kind of time off though. But I'm getting ready to go to day shift soon. I'll be off by 2:30pm.

3. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I completely agree with you because I am in corrections. I work 12 hour shifts. 3 on, 4 off, 4 on, 3 off. In a 14 day pay period, I work 7 days and I'm off 7 days. When your short weekend is 3 days, it's hard to complain. And yes I put a lot of OT into a "credit time earned" bucket to either take off or cash out later. If I weren't dealing with people who continually break the law, it would be a dream!

4. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a small business owner you do have some flexibility but anyone who owns a business will tell you that sometimes the business owns you and cant hunt as much as people think.

5. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My Dad is working on getting his RN degree while still working 45 hours a week at different job.More hunting time is one of the main reasons he wants to get into the medical field,plus RNs make damn good money.

6. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What!?!? Why the heck is this a law???

I would agree with teaching and especially coaching football. I did t pic up my bow for 8 years during that time. Now in IT and it is so much better!!!!

7. SEMO Growler

SEMO Growler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Firefighter works great for me. There are many different schedules various departments/districts use. I happen to work 24 on 24 off for three day rotation so M W F for example and then off for four days straight. I work about ten days a month. Throw trade time and vaca time in there and I can get a week or two off pretty much anytime I want.

8. cslater3

cslater3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna have to disagree with teacher big time. I just stopped teaching and got into the corporate world to gain more hunting time. It's great to have summers off hit nothing is in season in the summer. At my school we got 3 personal days per year that you aren't allowed to tick onto the beginning or end of a long weekend or break. Once daylight savings kicks in there's not a chance on making it to the deer stand after school before the deer do and you are at school before the sun comes up. I'd much rather work my summers and swap for a few weeks vacation whenever I choose instead of having them predetermined for me.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk