Do bow shops hate when...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Wiscohunter, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I were to buy a slightly used or even older New bow for several hundred dollars less than buying it New at the local bow shop and then bring it in for them to service it what sort of reaction would I get? I'd love to buy it from them and support them but hey money is money and the more of it I can hang onto the better. Same question goes for accessories.

2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The shop I use will work on anything you bring in. They simply charge a shop rate for doing the work. All bows out of warranty are treated the same.

I'm not sure for accessories but I would assume it would be similar to their policy for strings. If you buy from them, installation is included in the price. They charge $25 to install strings purchased elsewhere.

3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Same what BB4tw said. They may recommend some different options for your bow also.

4. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In my area there's lots of small bow shops run by just a man or two. Now archery season comes n this great rush of guys head to the bow shop looking for strings, tuning, new rest, whatever. They've seen the same guys before since they're regular customers. The fellows even bought bows from them.
    Now another guy bought his elsewhere. Money is money w them too n being time is short for all and he's trying to accommodate reg customers, some guys going away, some setting up a bow they bought from the shop w accessories for a kid, gf, whatever. Yes yours will get done but you haven't been loyal to him and they're repeat customers. Who's he gonna set up first? The guy who just spent 1500 and now wants his new bow set up to shoot or the guy who walked in w a used bow n wants it tuned? Big money difference big difference in sure in the way you get set up time wise.
    Dont get me wrong I'm sure they'll all do it, but if you were the owner who would you prioritize?

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No I don't think most archery shops care. You are bringing business to them and they appreciate that more. Their profit margin is probably higher since they are only servicing your bow and adding parts and no major purchase was made on their end.

6. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most shops will charge for labor when performing services. So they still make money.

7. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys.

8. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went to a shop to buy an Elite 32, he wanted $900, went online and got same bow for $650 I was wondering the same thing if he would be pissed if I brought it in for a tune up.

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A shop shouldn't be pissed however the reality is that many are. Furthermore they won't be shy about charging top dollar and line item every service they perform for you.

10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is a good point and isn't limited to bow shops. Many businesses have more than one tier of pricing. On one hand it doesn't seem fair but on the other, it's a way of thanking and showing loyalty to your most loyal customers.

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The shop I deal with here is great with working on whatever you bring them.
    If they get you on the shop you are bound to buy something else from them while you are there. It is a business to them, or should be, they are in it to make money and keep customers happy.
    They shouldn't be mad at all.

Tags: