Mock scrape dripper destroyed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by JLhunts, Jul 16, 2016.

1. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So im interested to see if something similar has happened to anyone else here.
    A bear got ahold of the dripper after tearing the tree down to get it. I know its almost impossible to mask your scent fro. A bear but i put the dripper out with rubber gloves but was she going after my scent or the buck scent in the dripper? If so why would she be so interested in something like that? Then she came back the next night and messed with my cam, luckily she didnt do that same as the dripper. I had no bears in this area last year but their population has exploded in our area. Any tips to keep stuff like this from happening?

Attached Files:

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bear are curious animals and the scent dripper must have been releasing a "new to her scent," would be my guess. You're very lucky that she didn't destroy your camera. I have teeth marks in one and have several friends that have had theirs destroyed.

3. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what type of camera you are using but I would get a security case for it. I have them on my cameras and so far the worst thing a bear has done is soon it around the tree. Secondly if your making mock scrapes I recommend using Wind Pro. Its. Synthetic powder that sticks to the tree and ground so there won't be anything other than the tree for the bear to get. Check them out at Wind Pro - The Proven Whitetail Attractant. good luck

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, get a security case for your cam. The Scent drippers are relatively inexpensive.

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely a security case. Luckily we don't have bears.

6. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never lost a dripper to a bear, but several cameras. I use a bear safe now for mine.. they esp. loved the old film cams... I think the odor of the film back than really peaked their curiosity, but they have gotten a couple of my newer cams as well.

7. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was hunting over a hot scrape two years ago, 20 yards from my stand. i loaded up a couple of cotton balls with doe in heat, and dropped them in the scrape. Half way through the hunt a smaller bear, about 200 lbs came through. He walked up to the base of my tree and looked up at me, un-phased by my whistles and "get" attempts... He then wandered over to the scrape, sat down and ATE thee cotton balls........ WEIRD!!!

8. creed1

creed1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I lost a cam last week to a bear! Looks like I'll be buying a new cam and some security boxes too...

9. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had this happen to me last year. A sow and two cubs came through my mineral sight then five mins later they found my mock scrape and she tore it down and chewed on my dripper for a minute. I was upset at first, but found it rather funny later. You always see something new in the woods.

10. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Think maybe her being protective because of the cub or just more curious?