Release help?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BigHackAttack, Jul 2, 2016.

1. BigHackAttack

BigHackAttack Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently bought a RTH package from a shop in my area. Real happy with the starter bow and all the accessories. The release is a cheap one... so I bought a trufire hurricane and I felt I was really inconsistent. Finally, being frustrated I switched back to the one I that came with the bow. Once back to that one, I was super consistent again. I noticed that this release was VERY light on the trigger. I adjusted the trufire, but a little afraid to keep adjusting. I have REALLY cranked a lot on the trigger adjustment. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You do get what you pay for today. I shoot a Carter Quickie and yes they are stupid money but they are so smooth and it has certainly made me a much more consistent shot.

3. offgridqld

offgridqld Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree,
    I use a Carter Insatiable 3. I got it about 10 years ago and it shoots as smooth as the day I got it. It was a big investment for me at the time (It cost almost of much as my bow back then) but I have never regret it.

Just this year I was thinking perhaps the Carter wasn't the best release aid for hunting being bright shiny red and kind of expensive to drop in the mud or get wet. I thought using a wrist strap RA would free up my hand and would be hard to loose. So I purchased a brand name but inexpensive wrist strap RA with intentions of using it just for hunting.

My consistency was so messed up with the inexpensive wrist strap RA. I tried so hard to let it grow on me but it wasn't happening. It was like night and day switching back to the Carter RA. Perhaps it's just what I have become accustomed to over the years but I never shot that bad even when I first got the Carter.

I'm just going to have to be careful not to drop the Carter RA it in the mud ;)

Kurt.

4. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep adjusting your release, and/or call customer srv., they are there to help. Or talk with the folks at the pro shop where you bought the bow... Good luck

5. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I typically do not agree with the blanket premise "you get what you pay for" because there are a lot of good mid-grade products that will perform very well. However with releases, I have found that investing in a good one and spending the time to learn it and adjust it to your liking is well worth the money. I am shooting a Stan SX3 hand held thumb trigger release after trying 3 other hand held release models. They run well over $200 new and I was fortunate to trade for mine for one of the other models I didn't like as well. The feel, the adjustability, the company reputation and logevity.....all give me confidence and the desire to stick with it if I have an off day.

6. Bowguy

Bowguy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Carter or Stan make great releases

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Carter Insatiable 2+. Very smooth release. Used to shoot the Scott. No complaints but the Carter is really nice.