Bow wrist pain

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by frantic29, Jun 25, 2016.

1. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been fighting wrist pain for about a year now. I always was under the impression it was more to do with guitar playing than shooting but I recently had taken about 3-4 months off from shooting because of a back injury. During this time my wrist pain went away and my guitar playing increased so that sort of surprised me. Last week I started up shooting again and after a few nights of 20 or so shots the wrist pain is back. Needless to say it's very annoying as it affects my shooting, my guitar playing and work. I am turning my bow down to 50lb to see if that helps although I was only at 55 before so that will be a marginal help. Anybody else have this issue and what did you do to get over it?

2. Z2TL66

Z2TL66 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on your age and job you could have the start of arthritis or some tendon wear in your wrist.maybe a wrist suport might help.Could try to adjust how your hand holds the bow.I had a pro shop tell me to hold my bow a little diffrent and i tried it for a few weeks now i have pain in my thumb by my wrist still from a year and a half ago.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What I do is is hold a 5 to 10 pound weight upright in my hand simulating my bow. I then go through the motions as if I am drawing my bow, using the weight to simulate my bow. I then hold the weight out in front of me to the count of 10. Simulate a shot and I do it all over again. This will strengthen your bow hand, shoulder and wrist. Start with a weight you can manage and work your way up.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have wrist pain too and it is arthritis. "But I'm not old enough to have arthritis," I told the doctor. She reminded me that as a house painter/construction guy, avid cyclist and archery nut, everything I do uses my wrist and each one doesn't allow for the wrist to heal and get over the inflammation caused by the repetitive nature of my life. Before/during hunting season or before a bicycle race or some other special event, I begin a regimen of advil, (heavy dose like 4, three times a day) and the pain is tolerable. I don't shoot as much as I used to nor do I ride as many century rides as I used to and I have to be careful swinging a hammer as it will easily go flying out of my hand as my grip weakens or the pain intensifies. Good luck and as they say........... "I feel your pain!"

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pain is merely weakness leaving the body, gut it out. I am kidding I get a sore arm down to my wrist every fall from splitting and stacking fire wood. I would see a Dr to accurately identify where the pain is coming from a simple brace or wrap may solve the problem.

6. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you got carpal Tunnel, it's to do with your wrist doing repetative things. See a Dr,they can tell you what to do.
    Rocky

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it is carpal tunnel DO NOT get surgery.

Been there, done that. Much worse after. PT, chiropractic and acupuncture are all much better options.

8. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I have always heard this. I have hard time believing it is carpal tunnel because it seems so restricted to this activity, and came back so quickly once I started shooting again. I mean the second session I shot it came back and that was with day off in between. As I said when I stopped shooting the pain went away although other activities that are typically associated with carpal tunnel (guitar, typing) increased quite a bit during those months. I am kind of wondering if it relates back to a form issue or maybe I'm just getting old.