Choosing a Mechaical Broadhead

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by seangarchery, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pics or it didn't happen.

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have shot all the heads you mentioned including the rampage, so I understand what you mean when you say you are looking for a mechanical that leaves a better entrance hole. All of them will certainly kill if put in the right spot. Of the ones you mentioned I prefer the Killzone trophy tip. It leaves a nice entrance and if you have a setup with adequate momentum it should get a pass through if you stay away from dense bone like the should blade. If you are concerned about penetration due to low momentum then go with the Killzone low KE.

Most slip cam broadheads leave a good opening wound on soft tissue. So you should be ok.

As some other options. In the past I have always also had luck with the Spitfire even though its an over the top mechanical. Recently I shot the Xecutioner and was completely surprised at the opening it left and a complete pass through. But I also have upped my momentum a lot since last year.

In my older setup I did experience passthrough issues when I got into the 2 blade extreme slip cams. 2.3+ So I would stay away from them if you are concerned about penetration issues.

Good luck and let is know what you choose. :tu:

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly! Tune with a fixed blade and then use mechanicals if you want. That way you know your arrow is flying straight. If you don't, that arrow still might hit the bullseye but its not going to have as much drive/penetration as if you were to tune to a fixed head as the arrow could be not flying 100% true.

*IMO* When broadhead companies advertise that they are field point accurate just like you stated in your question that is a complete gimmick in my opinion. ALL broadheads fly like a fieldpoint. That's why a lot of the guys on here are trying to get you to understand that. Take the advice! tune to a fixed head and then shot whatever the hell you want.

I learned the hard way as well so trust me, I get it!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  4. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think sometimes people will take an un-tuned bow and just shoot mechanicals to fix the issue instead of tuning it. A Band-Aid for an artery cut. I for one have done this several years ago when started shooting the faster bows. Couldn't get my muzzy's to fly straight, took it to the shop and had it paper tuned, with same results. Gave up and went to a mechanical. Had some good success with them. However I'm back to fixed blade and was able to tune it properly. Shoot whatever works for you, but people should know to tune their bow. :tu:

5. Ram_n_arrows

Ram_n_arrows Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shop up the road from me told me no fixed blade flies like a field point and that I shouldn't even try with my fast bow. I laughed in his face. I told him I shoot nap hellrazors montes Magnus buzz cuts slick tricks and qad exodus all the same as field points . And people let this guy touch their bow.. He told me my bow was paper tuned so if the broadhead doesn't fly right it's because my arrow is too fast. I no longer go to that guy and mainly for a different reason....

6. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is it possible one can have a very well tuned bow and also shoot mechanicals?? lol geez

7. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He's not completely wrong, no fixed blade broadhead is going to fly exactly like a field point for obvious reasons. Go shoot a field point at 80 and a fixed at 80, way more drag on the fixed. They also act as a second set of vanes so they will make flaws more obvious than a mechanical. Thats not to say you can't tune your bow to shoot fixed blades very accurately, I shoot fixed and if my defiant turbo couldn't shoot them accurately I wouldn't use them.
    In addition, an arrow does get harder to tune the faster it is. 270 to 280 fps is the range I shoot for to get the best tune and speed.

8. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1465902456.643102.jpg
    Go to the New Archery Facebook page and u can see a video Ralph from the choice does with it on his bear.

9. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a die hard fixed blade shooter, in over 30 years of archery I've never killed a deer with a mechanical. But I agree. A lot of guys have trouble not answering the question they wished the poster asked opposed to the one they actually asked. He knows the benefits of tuning because he pointed it out in his first post. But still we all just keep piling on expressing the importance of tuning when that isn't what he asked. Gotta love forums :) .

10. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In my minimal experience I've had field points shoot great, G5 Montec shoot great (fixed blade), NAP Killzone shoot great (mechanical) , FAA Toxic and Cyclone terrible (fixed blade), and NAP Thunder Head Razor shoot OK (fixed blade). I don't really know why everything performed differently but I don't think the main issue was with my bow not being tuned.

My humble opinion is find a BH you like and wanna shoot. Do what you need to do to make sure it hits it's mark at any distance you will try to harvest an animal. If you can hit your mark...... shoot it.

To answer the callers original question... I have shot the Killzone. It flew well and did tons of damage.