Idea for keeping deer cold--need opinions/suggestions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bman1234, May 25, 2016.

1. bman1234

bman1234 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi I'm new to this forum. I switched to bowhunting only about 12 yrs ago and struggled with keeping my deer cold during warmer weather in Texas. I wanted to run this idea past you guys to help decide if this is something worth pursuing. I'm thinking that I could help out a lot of us Southern hunters that have these same issues.

The main idea is a cooler that can be used either as a regular cooler but can also quickly be transformed into temporary deer cold storage for camp or transporting the deer. (please see attached pics and laughing at my art will be welcomed!)

Any feedback good or bad would be great and definitely any suggestions. Hope this is o.k. and ya'll don't mind me asking for opinions.

Thanks,
    B

Attached Files:

2. Bigtine

Bigtine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol. Love the pic!

3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So you have removable parts for when you shoot a deer and you put them back in to make it a beer cooler. Personally I don't like removable parts they get lost, and if my wife ever saw a deer carcass in a cooler she would never let me use that cooler for anything but deer carcasses again. I see the novelty in it I just don't see the practical functionality of it when I can go buy 3 bags of ice for $15.00 and shove them in the chest cavity. Sorry

4. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What about an attachment bag or holder that the parts can go into. Maybe on the lid. A part opens and the plugs snap into a compartment. What about removable liners? Like plastic liners that custom fit and are disposable so you can remove the liner when done and the cooler would be clean or cleaner?

5. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking the outside mold of the cooler has hole for the carces and you can have removable inner linings one the does not have any holes for beer and what not then another lining that have holes that line up so you can swap out the liners when you need too!!

6. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    like sethf11 said!

7. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We cut the head and legs off but a WI deer would not fit in a cooler. Im guessing texas deer are much smaller.

How long ago did you get your patent pending status? Is it a utility patent or a provisional patent? PM me if you are not comfortable discussing in public.

8. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't quartering the deer be easier?

9. bman1234

bman1234 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    These are some good ideas I like the idea of a disposable liner that could be a great accessory as an option. I considered storage for those removable fittings and thought about a "bungee" type pouch on the side or lid (btw great minds think alike!). Definitely need to consider the beer also lol! As far as quartering the deer that is definitely another option. I've done it both ways. Idea here is giving some of us the option for keeping the deer cold whole when we don't have the time or energy to cut it up. Personally I am pretty worn out by the time I drag a deer and then field dress it. It's beer thirty and time to find a chair right about then! It's not perfect but I feel it would be somewhat better than just ice in the chest cavity. I have also done that myself a few times it helps.

I was trying to come up with a cost-effective way to have something we can cool deer that's better than what we currently have available to us. If you already have the need for say a 120qt 5-day cooler then would you consider buying it instead for a comparable cost if it was well made?? (I guess I should have asked the more important question if anyone would actually buy something like this before I go too far developing it. :) )

10. bman1234

bman1234 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No I'm okay with that it's a utility patent and I think it's actually a completed patent I just have not received it. I expect to have it real soon. Send me a pm if you like I'm still getting familiar with this site.

As far as deer fitting in a cooler, from my research mature bucks in Texas average 100 lbs field dressed. The deer cooler would have an adjustable neck opening for various size deer necks and would be designed to handle much larger bucks say up to 150 lbs or bigger. That should get most of them down here in the south.

11. Freelance Bowhunter

Freelance Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This would be hilarious on shark tank that's all I can say.

12. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What if the lid was larger and thicker and had its own cooler built into it. A place to in addition to a deer to put some food and beer?

Just a thought here, what about also designing and making an adjustable wrap for the deer. Where your put ice bags inside of the deer and wrap a cooler blanket around the deer with plastic snap buckles you can draw tight. That would "close" up the deer and hold the cold in. Like when you put a tarp over a cooler. It's the "dead" air that you need to keep cool.

I have a junk Coleman cooler and last fall I had to quarter up a deer and put it in two of the cheap coolers. They are old and do the job but they aren't great. I wrapped a tarp around the coolers from the advise of my engineer brother and my cheap coolers held ice for 2 1/2 days! Works amazing if you eliminate the "dead air".

13. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think weight is an issue, but what about length? 120Qt coolers run about 38-40inches on the outside, leaving what 34-38 inches inside. I don't think I've seen a deer under 2years that is that short from rump to front of shoulders.

15. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    One time I stuffed a small doe in a 100qt cooler whole, head and all. :lol:

16. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just cut the legs off at the knees, no need for the leg holes.... But in all seriousness, just stuffing 25-30 pounds of ice in the cavity will keep it cool enough.... I love your ingenuity, but I don't think this one would sell. Just my .02 worth.

Tags: