Brassica Question

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by bossbucks25, May 20, 2016.

1. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to plant a brassica mix this year. I have planted brassicas in that spot for a couple years and have limed when needed. A guy recently told me that you cannot plant brassicas in consecutive years even if you lime because they produce a bacteria, and the bacteria will kill the plot. Has anyone heard this before and is this true?

2. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have not heard this exact senario. However I have heard you shouldn't plant year after year because it is bad for the soil and you should rotate crops just like corn and soybeans do with farmers. You rotate brassica with clover so you refill the soil with nitrogen your brassica uses.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never heard that but I do rotate my food plots regularly.

4. bossbucks25

Dislikes Received:
    i decided to switch my plot this year, I am switching to winter peas, and oats. I'm not sure about clover as this food plot buts up to a field that is alfalfa. hopefully the winter peas really do well.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    2 to 3 years is the max I'll do brassicas in a spot...at minimum I switch to a heavy oat/winter rye mixture with just a dusting of brassicas then back to heavy brassicas the following year.

6. bossbucks25

Dislikes Received:
    So I decided to switch to winter peas, can I add clover to this for next year when I seed?

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah, I'd also throw in some oats or winter rye, great blend mixer and even can be added later after germination due to how fast it pops. We always keep some ready for spots that don't pop or come in lush. Then next spring be ready to overseed with clover....by next fall your clover should be thriving.

8. bossbucks25

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I didn't know if the winter peas would have blocked the clover and make it die out. Also the mix has oats, winter peas, a little brassica, and I am going to throw in the clover and chicory.

9. bossbucks25

Dislikes Received:
    If I decided not to put clover in the winter peas could I plant brassicas again next year?

10. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't heard of the bacteria, but I have heard you shouldn't plant consecutive years. I like to grow clover for 3 to 4 years and then plant brassicas for a year, and then go back to clover.