Technology that we can hunt without

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, May 16, 2016.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I generally avoid electronic gizmos when it comes to hunting. I do have one trail cam that I move around but it's more for entertainment than scouting.

I am a diehard K.I.S.S. method follower and every bit of equipment gets highly scrutinized. If it needs a battery or has moving parts it starts out with a strike or two against it out of the package.

I do not feel the need to use a range finder, mechanical broadheads, movable sight or mechanical arrow rest.

The only tech that provides a big enough bonus to be worth it for me is the compound bow shot using a mechanical release. Even then I prefer a single cam for its simplicity over other cam systems.

I like this thread. It' fun comparing philosophies.

2. Innovative Outdoorsman

Innovative Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Crossbows. I enjoy bowhunting too much to quit. I love the challenge of human powered hunting with a recurve or longbow. I dont hunt much with a firearm either.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I believe in ozone and use it BEFORE every hunt but would never consider bringing a machine hunting. I also really like my single pin adjustable sight that I sighted in for 25 yards and threw the tapes away. I see binoculars and range finders as useless in the way I hunt. Cell phone usage is forbidden unless an arrow has been shot then I just text Tony.:o

4. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I still use a finger tab release. I've flirted with the idea of using a trigger release but as of now I still use the deer/bear fur finger tab. I also refuse to haul an Ozonics to my stand, all scent maintenance is done beforehand.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  5. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I try to stay away from a lot of electronic gizmos.ozonics is definitely one of them

6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have the latest and greatest gear... But I do enjoy having some gizmos available. I do not have an Ozonics or Scent Crusher and never will. Things I would not want to live without:

Thermacell
    Trail Cameras
    GPS/Smart Phone

7. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's what ruined hunting for me. I thought if I could just get one quality webisode together it would lead to something better. While I still plan on documenting my hunting, it's more for fun and sharing the moment with others. Plus, ever since I started filming my hunts and joining the deer contest on here, I've been skunked every year. So I made a decision after last season to step back and say goodbye to filming for the purpose of making webisodes and get back to having fun.

8. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like my phone. OnX Maps has been handy for seeing property lines on new places I hunt. Also used it turkey hunting on public ground two weeks ago.

That's about it. I wouldn't be afraid or opposed to try other things but I don't have the money for Ozonics or other gadgets like that.

9. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    just thought of another for me. I will not use a four wheeler or any other utv for hunting purposes. when I did I realized I was driving past deer sign that I now see when walking. plus atvs make me feel LAZY!!!

10. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    None of it has increased my hunting skills.

11. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see someone is honest! I could do without my cell phone seeing as I only have a signal in about half the places I hunt.

12. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Less than I used to. I own trail cameras that haven't seen the field in years. I look at the pictures that the guys get at our land, but I know there's bucks there by the MRI that's out there. I used to buy a new now every year. I have two Bowtech Swats from 2010 that are setup identical and they kill. An old man climber for comfort, a LW for speed and weight. Good to go.

13. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't intentionally distance myself from any tech either I don't like it or can't afford it to try it. Although a range finder would be hard to go without the added confidence of knowing what distance a trail or deer are at

14. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    currently hunt with modern compound bow with peep and release, range finder, binos, carbon arrows, gortex, trail cams, leaf suits, modern backpacks, GPS and a flip-phone. have no interest right now in I-phone or ozonics but never say never...

15. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am sure no of us will deny the technology of good rain gear!

16. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The term "technology" seems to be subject to individual interpretation. My first thought is always about electronics followed by precision mechanical items.

I never considered arrows to be a tech item until you specifically mention carbon arrows which are more advanced than wood obviously.

A lot more items become high tech when the manufacturing process is thought about.

17. Junior73

Junior73 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shy away from trail cams and food plots. Call me old fashioned or what have you but I still enjoy boots-on-the-ground scouting & being surprised by whatever deer I see while hunting. I have a smartphone, but still take a paperback book with me for the slow time. 95% of the time I use a rangefinder at home to set yardage on my sight. I have never used it leading up to a shot other than to range a tree or stump or something like that.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a problem with technology if it helps a hunter be more accurate or complete a humane kill faster. The shortcut technology is what I am resistant to, then again the shortcut technology is more effective in getting people to buy it rather than getting a buck in bow range.

19. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For me I would never buy an Ozonics, I don't even own a any fancy carbon impregnated/charged or whatever the marketing term is hunting clothes. Just plain old camo for me although I do tend to scrutinize patterns a bit which in reality probably doesn't matter all that much. Most of my scent control is done through wind management and washing with scent free cleaners. Better tech with bows, arrows and broadheads and sights and rests are good with me. If it could help me with a quick, clean more humane kill once I decide to take a shot then I am all for that. I try not to hunt without a good rangefinder if I am hunting a stand where I am not comfortable with known distances. I carry a cell phone mostly for the time as I don't normally wear a watch. Improved safety tech such as harnesses, lifelines and such are a necessity and not really an option in my opinion.

20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like this has become a argument for being a hunting purest... Which is awesome if that's your thing. As for me I hold a passion for bow hunting plain and simple. And if I see a way to get in within 30 yards of a mature buck over 130 I'll try my best to buy it. But there is a significant difference between new tech and products made just to make us (passionate hunters) spend money. The best hunter I know personally uses a 16 year old bow and when I bring up my Heli his response is always... That's alot of apple trees I could buy....I feel that if you want to argue about the tech you refuse to buy then you damn sure better be using a recurve and wearing animal skin