Don’t Mess With Hunters: Hunter Harassment Outlawed

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, May 9, 2016.

1. Bowhunting.com Staff

Bowhunting.com Staff Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been harassed by other hunter.

got to the spot befor they did on public land.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Wait, listen.... where is Durkin now? All I hear is crickets.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    While it is a good law in principal, actually proving harassment and achieving prosecution is not very likely to happen. I do not think the fact that their behavior is against the law is going to stop the wackos.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: So what, Walker does one good thing for hunters and all of a sudden Durkin is supposed to give him a pat on the back and forget about looking the other way on CWD issues?

6. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard that a new strategy for some of the crazies is once the police or DNR are called they say the hunter pointed the weapon at them. Than things get very difficult and costly for the hunter cause it's one word against the other and the officer is required to act cause of the seriousness of the charge.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    No, but he's the first to turn an outdoor column into a political shaming when stuff doesnt go the way he thinks it should, but he never seems to show up when the opposite happens. Nobody knows enough about CWD to do anything about it...

The while railroad article was a joke, it's not like people that own private land on either side of the tracks can legally cross them either but he wants to make it seem like Walker is the one that made it that way but that was like three terms ago. :dan:

8. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spot on, it is too easy to say that the harassers are simply enjoying a walk in the woods if it occurs on public land. I've seen that defense work here in VA.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We have all heard of the neighbor that rides the 4 wheeler on the property line etc. I had a neighbor that used to walk their dogs on the property line when I sat. Set up a decoy stand they could see was empty and no more dog walks at prime time. My point is subtle harassment is still going to happen and some not so subtle. Public and private land.

10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I found a way to hunt on some public land that is hard to access (not hard, but a long walk) Well where I hunt it borders some private property and a guy hunts back there that comes in from the other side of the block. Well he eventually found out I was hunting nearby on the public land and 2 different sits he decided to start up his 4 wheeler and driver circles around me to make sure I didn't see anything and piss me off. If it happens this next year, I guess I'll just video record him and turn him in. I was even going to be the nice guy and introduce myself and be nice if I ever ran into him. So we both can hunt together persay and not bother eachother. Funny how some guys have to ruin things for themselves too.

11. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't hold my breath about that getting anything done to him. He's just riding his quad as long as that's legal you have no case.

12. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pat should try to be unbiased in some of his writings then maybe his biased stories would carry more weight. Right now he is just a Walker hater! :deadhorse:

13. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, but its Harassment what he was doing. The hard part is proving it. Its no different if he was hunting in his stand and I purposely walked around the property line blowing a whistle. Sure its legal for me to walk there and its legal for me to blow a whistle any place I want, BUT, its harassment to the hunter.

I totally get what your saying, signing this bill will not do much because there is so many loop holes etc. I'm not worried about it anyways. I'll leave him hunt on his land and i'll hunt where I can and so be it.

14. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This bill was written "mostly" to help Bear Hunters and aimed at a group called Wolf Patrol headed up by Ron Corranado a known and convicted Eco terrorist.
    The last couple years he has been coming to WI. Following hound hunters, filming them, going into their bait sites and so on disrupting their hunting. Back when we had a wolf season he was doing the something with trappers.
    Everyone has a cellphone that takes video easy to document harassment activities.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ruff, can't believe that the law was passed for bear hunters. I spend a fair amount of time in NW Wisconsin and the only people that like the bear hunters that run dogs are the bear hunters that run dogs. Dogs do not respect property lines and the handlers of the dogs care more about the dogs than property lines as well.

16. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And some people feel the same about people from MN. in the northwest part of the state. Sota there are good and bad in all hunting groups. The paper WON has a section cuffs and collars. Every issue there is a page full of outdoors people cited for all sorts of infractions.
    We all share the resources and need to show tolerance when doing so.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am an honorary wisconsin resident when I am up there but honestly the dog runners of bear and coyotes need to at lest be humble when their dogs trespass and cross lines.

18. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree