Turkey Team #5 Gobbler Haulers

Discussion in '2016 Turkey Contest' started by nsuthoff, Mar 17, 2016.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m back fellas, sorry to neglect the team, school, baby, wife, work has been kicking my butt lately. I see nothing too exciting has happened here, the season has been tough here too, keep your heads up.
    **Little update:
    -Found out who jacked my trail cameras, he works with a guy I went to sniper school with in the Army. Supposed to call me today, I have no serial numbers, so I’ll write them off and try to start a new relationship to be friendly hunting neighbors, if not, whatever.
    -Have not had many chances to get out, and birds have been quiet. They seem to be a little more active now; I’ll hit it hard this week and weekend pending the forecast. The season ends May 15.
    That’s all I have, for now, hopefully, we start putting some birds on the scorecard. Congrats nstuhoff, any turkey is a prize. I have debated taken a shotgun out just in case one hangs up.

2. nsuthoff

nsuthoff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got the new strings on but the pins are off and I don't have the right wrench. Shoots done but gotta use my usual 40 yard pin for 20 and my 50 yard pin for 30. Not gonna be shooting anything but yotes last 25 so I'm good till I can get the right wrench

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got my strings today too. I still need to fine tune my sight a little bit but I should be back out after turkeys soon.

Now if the weather would cooperate...

4. nsuthoff

nsuthoff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Same here with the sight just have to use the other pins! Can't turn tomorrow because of a shotgun competition but Sunday is open and then next weekend is my last chance. Good luck!

5. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had an encounter with a bird on Saturday. He stayed just outside of range and wouldn't come in. Going to give it another try tomorrow and Wednesday. My season ends Saturday

.[​IMG]

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

6. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You need to wax your sting more often

7. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It sign you shoot a lot

8. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Usually turkey hunt from a permanent blind we have. Last year I couldn't get them to come in. Purchased a ground blind to be a little more mobile. Hoping to get out this weekend.

Went out briefly yesterday to check morel spots. Found 6 greys. Just popped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. nsuthoff

nsuthoff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our mushrooms are done here

10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This week is full for me at work repairing flood damaged fence. The 14th is my daughter's graduation so next week may be a shut out for me too. Luckily the season goes until the end of May so I haven't given up hope yet.

11. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I found my blind! It took a tumble for about a quarter mile give or take and ended up against a cedar tree. It's undamaged and completely usable. I just need to get/make some new stakes.

Maybe my luck is starting to turn around.

12. nsuthoff

nsuthoff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! No rips or tears at all?

13. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nope. There's a couple spots where the nylon is stretched but no holes or tears.

It's a doghouse blind that has two tent poles that make the roof dome up. I didn't have them tied to the center of the roof so it was able to collapse and flatten out as it tumbled. I think that's what saved it.

14. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1462324492.782748.jpg
    Well I couldn't get it done for my self but I helped ****ie tunes hammer one

15. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Drove in mid day to set up blind. Two toms were 100 yards from blind. Now all I have is a raccoon in the field.

16. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This blind is nice. Cabelas XL of some variety. I'm 6'5' and can stand up in it.

Just spotted first turkey. Just a hen. They usually roost behind me.

17. nsuthoff

nsuthoff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was supposed to hunt the blast 2 morning but not was my bed comfortable and the alarm not loud enough. Spooked 2 off the roost walking out tonight even after I walked right by then going in trying to put a ton to bed tonight. Gobbling has really slowed down for us but have a good feeling for the morning. Sunday is last day and supposed to be storming but I will hunt in the rain but no lighting. Good luck to y'all.

18. nsuthoff

nsuthoff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A pair of almosts for me this morning. First, started on ours and was set and working a bird that was about 100 yards away. Set up on a logging road and he had to cross a fence to come to us. We worked him for about an hour and he wouldn't budge just sit there and gobble. We decide to get up and move along the fence so he wouldn't have to cross it and not 30 seconds later here he comes right at us. Well he saw us and ran away so we went to our cousins. Had one strutting out in a field with 2 hens. Wouldn't even react to the call. So I slowly walked across and open field keeping a tree between us. Got to the tree and they were back in the shade 100 yards father along the field in the corner. Mind you, this tree is just 20 yards in the field and where he was just strutting 10 mins ago. The hens move off and since I don't have a call I motion for my dad to call because he is behind me in the brush along the field yet. He thinks I motioned for him to come in so he walks out into filed and the tom busts. He was on his way over to where my dad was previously calling and would be walked right be with a 15 yard shot. Tomorrow morning is the last day so I need some luck!

19. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My season is over. Finished up without a bird. It was my first season bowhuntinh turkeys. I loved the challenge, don't know if I'll ever go back to using a shotgun.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

20. nsuthoff

nsuthoff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Season over for me also. Almost got a last minute bird with the scattergun but he got hung up on a fence. Nice playing with yall.