Arrow wraps, pro's & cons

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swise660, Apr 3, 2016.

1. cawwwrin

cawwwrin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't think of any cons aside from price, but I've never used them just because I enjoy fletching my own arrows with a jig.

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys must be shopping at the wrong store. Onestringer has a dozen solid wraps for $6. That's not bad considering the times they'll help you find an arrow.

There's really no downside other than rear weight, but that has never stopped me. Stripping and cleaning the shafts is a PITA with wraps or vanes.

3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I am in the minority. I see zero advantages in using a wrap. Looking "cool" imo is not an advantage. But I know people who won't even try an archery product if it doesn't look cool.

My issues:
    Lower FOC.
    Fletchings are not as secure on the shaft.
    Need to remove them and all fletchings when you can replace just 1.
    I can strip 3 fletching faster than I can remove 1 wrap and fletchings.
    I use 2 white & 1 flo. yellow fletchings to see arrow in flight and to see blood. In flight you can not see the wrap.
    Cost 1.50 each at the shop in town.

4. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    same here. use either 2 inch labels or pieces of blank bumper sticker material. usually leave mine white as well. main reason for using wraps is to make refletching easier. easier to peel off a wrap than scrape glue of the arrow every time. have not noticed any difference in arrow flight out to 50 yards since weight difference is minimal. I appreciate the beauty of the store bought wraps but go the more utilitarian route.

5. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    These are some of the exact feelings I have about it. I had to ask being so many people use wraps and I still can't justify using them after asking about it.

I enjoy fletching my own arrows and I like being able to replace one vane when it needs to be repaired compared to having to replace them all.

I also can't see how this is going to help me see my arrow in flight or find it any easier than what it is using a lighted nock while hunting. I have NO problems finding my arrow or seeing what kind of blood I have they way my arrows are now.

6. Reezen11

Reezen11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    One con is if your using carbon arrows its hard to check for cracks under the wrap

7. Reezen11

Reezen11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not saying I won't build them with wraps [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You and I are on the same page, I use a white wrap with all white vanes...very easy to determine what kind of blood is on it.

Someone mentioned the difficulty in removing the old wrap adhesive, I had the same issue until someone here told me to use Bohning Limoxyl Arrow Prep...it does an awesome job of removing all the "gummies" that remain when you strip the old wrap off.

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Once again I am realizing what an isolationist I am when it comes to gear. I have never wrapped an arrow never considered it, never looked at my arrow and thought how can I make them "cooler". I think an arrow covered in blood is as cool as I need. As far as fletching or refletching I have to admit I don't do it, I don't even bring them in to get refletched it has been a while I just get new arrows.

10. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Am just the opposite. I refletch to repair fletching but also experiment with different types and angles of fletching to tweak arrow flight. for me its just an extension of the sport. plus I ended up with some left hand single bevel broadheads to play with and they require left hand fletching. But then again I reload ammo so tinkering is in my blood.