How high?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ShaneB22, Mar 30, 2016.

1. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So this is what I'm working with here. I pretty much know what I'm going to do but if any of you guys have any suggestions I'm listening. Some of you have the app but if you have any questions about the markers just ask. [​IMG]

2. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I own my own man lift and to say the least there is no way I'm hunting from 30'-35' in a tree. every shot will be a spine shot just to have proper exit. I honestly think if hunters actually measured the height of their treestand they aren't as high as they think they are. I think most don't go much over 20'. most 2 story houses on average are only 20'-25' high at the ridge of the roof. 35' is like hunting from the roof of a 3 story home. do they even sell lifeline that long? dangerous to say the least. but to each their own. I still think that hunting from the backside of the tree at any height is the best option and least evasive.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with this thinking, but I have marks on my pull rope that tell me exactly how high I'm hunting. None of my stand heights are less than 20', most are 25', and I have one that's 30'. I won't hunt higher than that for the reasons you mentioned. I'm a tree climber by profession, so heights aren't an issue to me.

4. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My stands are usually in the 20' range, + or - a couple feet. I know this because I cut my pull up rope at 22' and I climb until I lift start lifting my bow unless cover is a little better a little lower. That rope is tied to my seat so I know close to where the base of my stand is. When I use my LW sticks and Assault I am about 18'. I am only 5'10" and I can't space them out to get much higher lol.

I have bowhunted PA whitetails on the ground for many years. My success has gone up considerably since I started using treestands in 2009. They are way too many hunters in PA, and public land deer are extremely skittish. Private land may be different, but unless you just want to shoot young does and small bucks, being in a stand is a benefit for sure. At least in my opinion.