Broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 18andrew, Mar 28, 2016.

1. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are the best 100gr broadheads on the market in your opinion. Im going to be shooting a new broadhead this year and I'd like to see opinions and reviews on which you thinks the best out there. It's so hard to decide what to get, right now I'm liking the NAP bloodrunner II

2. kwachHTX

kwachHTX Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am sold on the G5 Monetec. A friend recommended them and I was able to harvest my biggest buck with it. It was a hard quartering away shot and I hit the buck right in front of the back left hip bone. The arrow travelled almost the entire length of the deer. You could feel the tip of the broadhead coming out the front right shoulder. And the bow I was shooting at the time was 335fps with my 400 grain arrow.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thing that the best broadheads are the German Kinetics, followed closely by the Solids but they are pricey!
    Now for average broadheads, I've shot lots of animals and birds with plain old Slick Tricks.

4. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    there are a lot of good and great broadheads out there. I personally prefer fixed blades. have had great success with montec carbon steel, slick trick, and also dropped game with muzzy three blade. I prefer carbon steel montec over stainless steel because I can get it much sharper. I prefer Slick tricks over muzzy because I think they are tougher and I can resharpen the blades and really hone them to a fine edge, though they come very sharp. I've shock slicktricks into a broadhead target all summer and then resharpened them and taken game that fall. very durable head. Heard great things about the German broadheads but I use broadheads a lot and so a reasonable cost is a factor for me.

5. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No such thing as the best. What you need to do is pick a good head for your setup. Today, nearly all broadheads will kill a deer sized game with a well placed shot. What you need to do is pick the broadhead that flies well and is better suited for your setup.

Around 55 lbs of KE your probably going to want a good fixed blade head such as Slick Trick, Thunderhead, Muzzy, etc. for the best all around head. Granted they do make low key expandables but you will get mixed opinions on them.

around 45 lbs of KE and less your best option is either a small fixed head or a cut on contact head. These will allow you to get the best penetration.

Keep in mind, a lower KE setup you will want a slightly heavier arrow to gain momentum to help drive that arrow. I've seen way to many guys with setups that are low like that and then they are using a really light arrow. Granted it can kill a deer, but its not giving you your best chance.

Thing i've learned over the past few years is to have hunting setup provide your the best chance in a not so perfect hit. It all comes down to shot placement. Do your part and the broadhead will do its part.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You will get alot of opinions with this question but as has been said, try what works best in your setup and see what you like. I personally have used the Montecs, Muzzys, and Slick Tricks in a fixed blade. They all flew well for me and seemed to be solid heads. I could never get the Montecs as sharp as I liked so that the reason I went away from them. I'm currently shooting the NAP expandable and so far they are working well. Good luck with your choice.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

7. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is like asking what's the best bow out there, or best car for that matter. Everyone has their own preferences.
    Depending on what I'm hunting I have slick tricks and Rage Hypodermics in my quiver.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to argue with the simplicity of slick tricks, they fly well too.

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My opinion:

QAD Exodus
    Slick Trick Magnum
    NAP KillZone

10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not the best but here are some of the more "popular" heads just from being on this forum over the past year.

Slick Trick Magnums and Standards
    Muzzy and Thunderhead - Been used for years, these 2 heads have probably killed more deer than any other heads
    Rage Hypodermics
    QAD Exodus - Becoming very popular from what I've been reading
    NAP Killzone

*Plenty of others but based on my reading and seeing what other guys talk about, these seem to be the most used/talked about. Me personally, I kind of want to check out the QAD Exodus.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In Fixed broadheads it is hard to beat a 4 blade Muzzy or a Thunderhead. If you go with an expandable, look at the NAP Killzone and the Rage Hypodermic.

12. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Out of all the BH I've shot. The Steel Force Phat Head has been my favorite. Micro head that flies great and cuts through.

13. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Slick Tricks

16. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

By posting your picture on this site, aren't you afraid of being spammed for ever now?

17. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I see slick tricks are popular.. But I also was looking At the QAD exodus and with it being as short as it is, I'd imagine that they fly like a field tip more than some of these longer broadheads like rage hypodermics or NAP kill zones?

18. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look at the 2 blade Helix by Strickland, great head, great penetration, very lethal.

19. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The QAD Exodus is a solid broadhead. From past experience it flies great out to 80 yards. We shot them through steel drums and even into cinder blocks and the heads stated together. I really like the fact they are shorter so the balance is the same as standard field points. I however shoot Slick Tricks now because I have a surplus of them. After they are depleted I will get more Exodus heads.

20. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love Wasp.