Need opinions: 5.0 or 3.5 ecoboost

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by CoveyMaster, Mar 26, 2016.

?

Ford F150 5.0 or 3.5 Ecoboost

Poll closed Mar 27, 2016.
  1. 5.0 engine

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. 3.5 Ecoboost engine

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's not necessary, I'll accept a check or money order if you're offering me a grant. :lol:

2. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ford is rumored to have a 2017 Diesel option. Likely the 3.0 or 3.6 litre being used in the Range Rover/Land Rover vehicles with a 10 speed auto transmission. If they do I plan to trade my Ecodiesel in on one.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't wait to see the Facebook memes if you get one of these.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Covey I know you like Fords and I don't blame you. I have had Ford 550s for wildland fire rigs my entire career with the DNR and never had a problem. We got a new rig this spring a Chevy 3500 crew cab, I took it out of cold storage yesterday and filled it with water 200 gallons. I drove it to a fire yesterday and oh my was I surprised not only do you not know you are driving a diesel because it is so quiet but the comfort of the cab and how instrumentation is layed out is way above and beyond what Ford is doing. The acceleration and top speed is awesome as well, I think the governor chip was omitted.:evilgrin:

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    My landlord has a 09 3500 Diesel Silverado we use around the ranch to pull the ranch tractors and skidsteer around, has around 60k miles on it. It's nice to drive, plenty of power and rides nice but it should have plenty of power...he just put a new $12K engine in it last summer after it quit his son in law coming back from a trip to Oklahoma.

Another good friend of mine that is into registered equine production had a 3500 last year that he traded out of because he had put 3 transmissions in it in 2 years and it still wasn't right. He went back to Ram because he doesn't like Fords.

My local Mechanic is a certified Ford mechanic, I took my truck in to him the other day with this current problem. He said trade it for a Chevy. I said, "Ain't happenin." He said, "Why, you have something against Chevy?". I said yeah, the same bias you have against Fords." I said most of us have a bias one way or another and all vehicles and brands have their problems and strengths. My opinion is if a person has a bias and realizes it, they may as well stick with their preference because they're not likely to ever be satisfied with a change over vehicle. He said, "yeah, you're right, I've sen that a lot of times, someone changes over to another brand and the first time something goes wrong they regret changing." I said yeah, that's just human nature. There's nothing wrong with having a biased opinion one way or another but the constant bickering back and forth about brand wars is just stupid.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I agree 100% on that, plus I would not want to pay for a brand new truck, I never thought I would see the day when you could spend $50,000 on a pick up truck.

7. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    A loaded half ton is more in the $60-$65 range now........

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would be completely happy with a long box with a 5 speed manual and a rubber floor, but I don't think they make them anymore.:mad:

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah it's ridiculous but the way shop prices run these days you almost can't afford to go used because they are also stupid expensive and if something goes wrong then it's very possible you'll end up with the savings between new and used back in an already old and dated vehicle. For instance those two 2013 Lariats I drove, the bumper to bumper warranty was gone so I was going to purchase an additional warranty for $2700 bringing the total price to $38K. The better one had 30K miles on it, making the extended warranty good for an additional 70K miles or five years. 72 month financing is available so now the vehicle 6 years later is 9 years old and a year out of warranty (at least). Going the other route, purchasing a new one that's $11K higher initially but at the end of 72 months is 6 years old and if extended warranty is purchased at the end of factory bumper to bumper, is just going out of warranty at the end of the financing and is still three years newer and 30K miles newer than the 2013. The newer one is still worth probably more in trade in value that the initial difference in cost.

It's kind of like having the choice of losing an index finger off one hand or the other. :lol:

10. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I bought new this time around. I paid a bit more but the reality is I'm going to keep this one for quite a while so it's likely a wash in the end. Plus I got the exact truck I wanted and won't want to upgrade anytime soon.

11. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep my trucks until my accountant says that I need to buy something or I'm going to have to give the government a lot of money.

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Me too except I hardly ever do that with vehicles, it's usually farm equipment. I don't trade vehicles enough for it to be common with vehicles.
    I don't know why anyone would ever pay very much in taxes when there are so many tax deductible items. I have to buy stuff to operate anyway, I feel I'm a far better investment for that money than wherever the government would spend it, likely on an illegal or or lazy azz welfare recipient. Also, what I spend goes directly into the local economy rather than going wherever.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  13. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is nuts. I never owned a vehicle with less than 100k miles on it until I bought a new pickup in 2005 and I was 38 years old. Drove that for 7 years and bought a new 2012 and decided at that time I would trade for new every three years. I like the idea of having a new vehicle under warranty and its just fun to have a new one. Once you get into that pattern, it really is not crazy expensive to trade. But, you do have a lot of money tied up as dead equity. It costs me about three grand a year to drive new because I keep them in perfect shape and they have low miles. That really is not too bad. My current truck cost over three times what our first house cost! lol. Stupid, but it is what it is.

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I think that's the wise way to go if a person can afford to do it that way.
    My mom and dad bought the farm they live on in 1988 with a decent house and a 30x50' shop, 108 acres at a cost of $75K...I think I recall at that time a new completely loaded F-150 Lariat ran in the $12-$15K range.

15. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You know you want me back on the Blue Oval team:)

16. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I looked at a F-250 and drove it today with the 6.2L gas. I still feel like that's a better fit for a farm truck. I'd love to have a new F150 just for every day and longer transit driving but I just don't think one will hold up very well having to do the towing I need to do as well. I'm not sure the tranny and the rear end would take it even if the engine does. I know my seed tender is at least 10,000K and likely closer to 12K. I imagine the engineers designed them with the intent to be pulled by at least a 3/4ton.

18. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why gas, just curious?

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Because I don't want to spend over $50K on a diesel...otherwise I'd just go buy a ton with a 6.7 in it.

20. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gottca