Select cut kill this years hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ruttin1, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Ruttin1

Ruttin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just found out the owner of 160 parcel of woods I hunt will be "select cutting" the property this year. Time has not been set yet but he is trying to get it done ASAP. Now, the property needs it and will benefit from it. There are two large areas on the property that are thick with smaller trees and a bit swampy. Prime bedding areas that won't be disturbed ( I presume). So, my question is am I screwed for this year? How much will it affect the deer using the property for this season? Any experience, first hand knowledge?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on when they do the cutting, those tender tree tops will be a magnet for deer.

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your in luck....

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It most likely will be good for this year and great for the next few :tu:

5. Ruttin1

Ruttin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I like to hear. Wasn't sure about this year though. I suppose as long as he does it soon enough and green starts a growing........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. buckshank

buckshank Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you're screwed I have seen first hand some nice trophies taken off of select cut and neighboring properties

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We did the same on our farm only a little bit more than "select cutting" last spring and shot the biggest buck we have ever shot there last fall. It's only going to get better in the next few years. With all of the cutting, we stumped a couple of in the woods areas and made food plots and built new elevated stands. Strike while the iron is hot. Volunteer to help the land owner and maybe he would agree to cut a little more in an area that you would like to have opened up for your hunting benefit.

8. TrackSoup

TrackSoup Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When our bush was cut a few years back, we didn't see many deer that year. but the following seasons we filled the meat pole.

9. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Might be time for you to do some TSI with permission. Make some hinge cut bedding areas for does and bucks. Create travel corridors and such. Staging areas. Should be a good year for you.

10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally dont think it affects things as much as people think. It happened to me last year and the deer did indeed move, but they do not move far. If they are cutting in one area, find the next closest area that is thick, from my experience they tend to travel in the thicker areas to help stay protected.

Last year I went and hunted my #1 spot and when i went in they had a big tractor sitting 60 yards from me and trees were cut all over. I still saw like 5 deer and could have shot a 7 pointer. The deer are well aware they are in there, they are just cautious and will come out after they leave.

11. gdluck413

gdluck413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on when the cut takes place, your most likely in for some great hunting. We have done this on two of our farms in North Central Michigan, and the deer just love the tree tops and extra cover. We did however notice a big difference in deer patterns. Make sure to get cameras out after the cut if possible and find their new feeding areas. Most like there will be feeding all day long with the added ground cover. Good luck and make sure to keep us up to date!