Bedding areas?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pernat, Mar 18, 2016.

1. pernat

pernat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I just did a quick search looking for a thread on bedding areas and didn't see any? I guess my question is how do some of you decide what would be a "buck" bedding area and a "doe" bedding area? Once you decide how do you plan to hunt it? Stand distance, entrance and exit distance, as well as times of year to hit sit them more than others. Any info will help thanks!

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My learnings are that does will bed with food sources and visibility of the herd in mind. Bucks will bed in more solitude/private locations with good vantage points of their surroundings. As for distance I would say 75- 150 yds away depending on how quiet and accessible the route to stand is. I would hunt bedding areas on early morning to catch them coming back from feeding. These are only my opinions. Hope others will chime in

3. pernat

pernat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks shocker99 I hope to hear more opinions as well!

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Once you figure where the does are bedding, usually the thicker/thickest areas in your woods, don't go traipsing through there. Hunt the fringes of it and catch them coming or going. Remember these areas are their sanctuary, where they feel safe, so you don't want to disrupt it!

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You scout and find beds and measure the size and check out the droppings to be sure, look for more solitary beds a bigger groups of beds tend to be does and fawns.

6. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Once I find a bedding area, I'm looking this time of the year, I try and stay at least 200 yards away. I hunt bedding areas mostly in the morning. If the rut seems to be either just kicking in or winding down, I have two stand sites that I like to do all day sits in.

7. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hunting bedding areas can be tricky. As stated by others find them. The doe bedding areas are definitely closer to food sources. If they could they would love to bed right on the edge, Which they do provided the cover. If you are gonna hunt them I would only do it during the rut. That's the best chance to catch a buck cruising them for hot does. If you are able to find two doe bedding areas within a 100-200 yards of each other hunt in between them in the morings. If you are only gonna hunt a single bedding area hunt the down wind edge of it. That's where the bucks will be cruising to scent check the whole bedding area. Tread lightly though. If you over hunt bedding areas the deer will know and move out.

8. pernat

pernat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What time of year are you guys hanging these stands I like hanging them in the spring allowing the areas to rest till fall. I have never put a camera in a bedding area is this something you would recommend?

9. Getn'Lucky

Getn'Lucky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hanging in spring is a lil early....too much time for me....have seen some large bee nests develop on some stands that were left out.
    Also I am not a fan of spiders and how they like the area made between the seat and tree! Just gives me the weebee gee bees.
    I don't wanna hang a stand three months before season starts, sneak out there, only to find a tree has fallen, bees took up residence or it is even gone at 0 dark 30 in the morning.
    Never have put a camera in a bedding area, always trails to and from where it is easily accessible sometimes within feet of the edge so I can drive to it. However I had a group of does take over a kill plot. Burned through a set of batteries and an 8gb card in 2 weeks.
    suprisingly enough we have had the most success hanging stands ,that do not require trimming out, about the day before season starts. if they require trimming we try to hang them end of August.

10. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What @shocker99 said.
    Also, the size of the bed will indicate whether its a buck or doe.
    Entrance and exit to and from bedding areas are critical. Make sure you know the prevailing winds in the area etc.
    You want to be able to get in and get out unnoticed. The hard part is getting out of the stand after doe have bedded if you haven't found your shooter. I carry a wrist slingshot and some pebbles with me into the stand. I actually shoot a doe softly with a pebble. She doesn't know where it came from, but will run off, the rest will follow. This buys me the opportunity to get out of my stand unnoticed. I've done this several times before and they come back every morning to bed without knowing where my stand is.