Need advice on new rubber boots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by pastorjim08, Mar 21, 2016.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys, my 10yr old Cabelas dura-trax boots have just about seen better days. Was wondering what a good replacement would be. What are you all's recommendations and why? GO!!

Blessings.........Pastorjim

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Field & Stream 400g Thinsulate rubber boots. They're comfortable and reasonably priced.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like the classic model Muck boot. They seem to hold up well. They last me about 6 months before the rubber starts to wear and crack and then they go several more months before they actually start to let water in.

I wear my rubber boots every day for several hours per day in water, chemicals, and manure. I wouldn't be surprised to see them last for several years if only used in hunting situations.

4. flatfour

flatfour Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Muck Woody Elite - very comfortable. Pricey but they felt the best of other boots I tried.

5. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My bad, I meant to say Bogs not Muck.

They are pretty much the same thing anyways and I've used and had good luck with both but I'm currently wearing the Bogs and have been for a few years.

6. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like Muck Wetlands had them about 3 years had a problem first time wearing them they sent me a new pair no problems..

7. pernat

pernat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like my lacrosse boots they make a bunch of different kinds. The two that I have had are awesome, no sweaty feet easy to get on and take off and have lasted me for over 5 years now with no problem. However I did just buy some muck boots that are really light weight and are gonna get put to the test this year!

8. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like my mucks but the problem is the heel area inside the boots wear out quick. I'm going to switch brands once I find something that has better material inside.

9. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    What about sitting on stand with the mucks. I've read several reviews that claim they are not as warm as some of the rubber boots. I'm also looking at a pair from Sportsmans Guide. They are 2400 grams of thinsulate at a very good price. Thanks for all the answers so far.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

10. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For colder weather, the heavy alpha burly's > mucks. I prefer mucks over lacrosse if not cold. I've owned multiple pairs of each, and Mucks are more comfortable, no doubt.

11. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jim
    Been wearing my Mucks for about 8 years and have torn them hopping barbed wire fences and torn into the material and they still don't leak. I use heat pads on my heels and toes and they serve me well in -30 degrees. There rated for =45.Good luck with what you choose
    Rocky

12. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a fan of lacrosse. Last pair I had lasted about 10 years. I have some 400 gr lacrosse for warmer weather and wear my mucks when it's cold.

13. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for chiming in Rocky. I was hoping to hear from some older guys, since we seem to have the biggest problem keeping our extremities warm.

Blessings...........Pastorjim

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the comfort trax from cabelas. They are also 10 yrs old and have seen better days. My question is why switch? 10 yrs is a good run! I think I'm going to buy the same ones. Unless they don't make them anymore....

15. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I loved my Mucks but after about 3 months of wearing them regularly during the bow season they got a real bad smell to them...I mean BAD. Tried everything to get the smell out but nothing worked. Ended up picking up some Lacrosse Aeroheads and I will never buy anything else!!

16. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine did the same thing when i first got them the roommates made me move them to the detached garage. They got better but you just have to make sure they get dried out good since they are a talller boot and no air flow. just set them upside down on a vent or boot dryer

17. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got the new Rutmaster 2.0's from Irish setter last season 1200grms insulate (Vermont winters), great boots, very comfortable, love the grip. One thing I will say-I hunted on a very rainy day last November (all day sit) and the inside of these boots were drenched. They took forever to dry. I left them on boot dryers for 4 days when I put my feet inside my socks still got wet. Wading through water and deep snow is no problem, the fit around the calf is snug, but not too tight. Great boots, but wouldn't suggest these on very rainy days. That being said, I got a nice 8-pointer that afternoon :)

18. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of Mucks I won't wear anymore. not impressed. The Lacrosse Aeroheads I have now are much better. Way more comfortable and seem better built.

19. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lacrosse Aeroheads for early season but once it starts getting cold my feet got cold ..so I bought a different boot for this problem! But the Aeroheads are very comfortable and durable for a rubber boot

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

20. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a pair of Muck's and a pair of the UA rubber boots neither are great. I've switched to the Irish Setter Vapetrk and love them.