To keep? Or not to keep?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SuperKirby, Mar 19, 2016.

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    About a month ago, I was talking to a buddy that was wanting a bow. He doesn't have a lot of extra funds at the moment and I got a heck of a deal on mine so I said heck, I'll work out a deal with you on mine. Cool. I started looking around at some options and kind of settled on the Hoyt Powermax.
    About a week ago, this same buddy's truck puked on him so things have changed and he's not buying my bow. That's fine too.
    Yesterday I was in Scheels killing time and walked by the Hoyts. Started talking to the salesman and he asked if I was interested in one. I explained I was but the sale on my bow fell through so now I was killing time. The salesman said "We take trades." Started talking to him and he wouldn't commit to anything without seeing what I have, but him and the manager said they would basically take my set up as it is and trade for a bare Hoyt Powermax and give me 10% off on accessories through them. I know it's not a pro shop, but that's a pretty good deal.

What I have now-
    2015 Bear Tremor
    Black Gold 5 pin sight
    NAP Carbon Apache
    8" Bee stinger
    Alpine Power Loc quiver

I would get a bare Hoyt Powermax.

I can't decide if I want to do this or not. There's nothing wrong with the Tremor I have nor the way it's set up. I like the Hoyt a little better but I don't know if I would get as good of sight and rest. Hard telling.
    Any opinions?

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Were you able to shoot the bow? If so, how did it feel? How did it shoot? If you have shot it and you like it, go for it. You can sell your other bow later.

3. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the Powermax. I liked it a lot. It's nicer than my Tremor but it's not a Nitrum or Halon. I keep thinking I could walk out with a nice bow, all the accessories and be out about $500. Just can't quite get myself to pull the trigger on it.

4. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I recently bought a Powermax but I bought it with a bow package on it, I shot the halon and Nitrum too and I totally agree it's not as good as those bows but I still love the Powermax. But even with it coming with the bow package.. I already found myself upgrading sights and my stabilizer. So if you do like the Powermax and decide to go through with the deal be glad you're getting a bare bow because I regret getting the package deal. But hey if you can get a 10% discount on accessories I say you go for it. I put a 8" bee stinger and a throphy ridge react 1 sight on mine and I absolutely love it. I kept the QAD rest that came with it though

5. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My own opinion is keep your Bear if you, and shoot well with it why not. Sometimes ( Myself included ) you get that feeing or itch to buy something new and look for any reason to buy something. If you don't NEED a new bow and just want to scratch an itch do what I do and buy some new camo or accessory. May save you some cash.. Good Luck

6. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When in doubt, i'd pass. I've learned my lesson a few times in the past with things like this. When your doubting it, its best to just walk away cuz you most likely will not be 100% happy. I'd save and wait until you get something you are absolutely happy where you have no doubt.

7. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm going to sleep on a day or two. I need to go in and have some stuff done to mine anyway, so that's going to cost some money anyway. And in that case I'm really tempted to spend a little more and get a bow i like better. At the same time i can't quite convince myself its worth it. I may just see how i feel when i shoot it again and go from there.

8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you like your 2015 bow, I wouldn't even look at other bows for a few years. No point. Kill more deer with it.

9. DJinNC

DJinNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your bow performs well... Keep it. Save until you can get something that really knocks your socks off in either performance, feel or fit. Don't trade your bow in for one that is comparable but not necessarily an upgrade. IMHO stay with what you have.… If you have a Ford Explorer, don't trade it in for a comparably equipped Honda Pilot..... Save until you can get a Mercedes G500 and hit the woods, swamps and town instyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. SuperKirby

Dislikes Received:
    Thought on it some more and here's my thought process.
    Im going to go back hopefully tomorrow. Theres a couple other bows i want to shoof first but i really did like the Hoyt. I bought the Tremor i have now online, as well as all the accessories on it. A friend of a friend with a bow press set everything up. Not saying he did a bad job but theres a couple things not quite right on it. If i take it in to have stuff fixed i'm going to end up spending probably close to a hundred bucks just on that. Then every time i need to have the bow worked on theres going to be more. If i buy something new they'll work on it free excluding parts so long term i save money. Last, the whole reason i bought what i did when i did was because i got some killer deals. All total i have between 500 and 550 invested. This will probably be the one time i can trade sell out and not lose money.
    So i guess what I'm planning now is to go back with the intention of trading, but if it ultimately doesn't work out I'm ok with that too.

Tags: