Spring food plot question.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Las year, I planted a food plot that did terrible. But now that it's warming up, it's started to grow more than it did all last year. So I'm just going to let it be and not plant one there this year. But I need to know how I can keep the weeds at bay. What kind of herbicide should I use that will only kill the weeds? I have turnips and all kinds of other plants, it was one of those multi blend packs. So what products do yall find that wor well?

2. PCO50

PCO50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If the plants grow fast enough they should shade out the weeds so they won't grow. See if what you planted is round up ready. If so you should be able to spray round up to kill weeds

3. jwagn551

jwagn551 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm assuming its a perennial mix with a base or majority of clovers and chicory. Let it grow and mow it. This will allow the clover to out-compete the weeds over time.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The biggest concern to deal with a plot weed wise is grass control, the rest I can pull by hand. I also round up the border of the plot to keep all the other crap out.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let it go for now. I like to hit a year old plot with a fertilizer the end of May/first of June.
    I bush hog my plots the middle of June and then again in the middle of August.

6. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to suggest a herbicide when we don't know exactly what is in the plot. If it is round up ready, then use round up. If it's not round up ready, try calling the seed company and asking what you could use on that particular mix. Personally, I am not a fan of mowing plots just to control weeds, especially clover. But I know some people who do in order to help control weeds.

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I mow for the "new crop" effect.

Clover if seeded and fertilized well does a pretty good job on it's own of chocking out other grasses.