Antelope Hunting in Wyoming Questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by scarps23, Jan 25, 2012.

1. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Friend of mine just invited me to go out to Wyoming for an Antelope hunt. Probably 5-8 people would be going on this. He is planning on camping. Most will probably be using guns. If I go I would like to use a bow or have the option of both.

Looking for any insight of an experience like this that anyone has done before. One of my neighbors went out west somewhere 2 years ago and shot an antelope with a bow over a watering hole. He was in a blind. That is all I've ever heard about it.

Any suggestions of places to go for hunting or camping or just any general suggestions would be helpful. My friend hasn't been out there before and is starting to do some research.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. BigSarge1974

BigSarge1974 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It depends on what time of year you are going to go and the area really. Early is best for bowhunting as it is easier to catch them at watering holes during the rut and to get them to respond to decoys. I have been several times in NE Wyoming and have a great connection with lodging out there. I have only rifle hunted as I also went Muley hunting at the same time. It was kind of late in that area at that time for bowhunting antelope. Message me if you are interested and I will give you the info.
    Sarge

3. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info Sarge. I think they are looking at Mid Sept - End Sept. I looked at the regulations for Wyoming and it looks like a lot of different sections and different rules for each area. Kind of made my head spin. I need to find out exactly where they are thinking of going.

4. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anywhere around Gillette! They are as thick as rabbits around there.

5. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks JM

6. coyotetrappermo

coyotetrappermo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Watering holes can work unless you hit a very wet period which leaves puddles everywhere, then antelope don't need much to get the water. Decoying is a more sure bet than water holes IMO, the peak rut seems to be around the 20th of Sept or so.

Fun to watch the larger bucks chase around those satilite bucks. That chase phase is the prime time to use a decoy but some choos to use the wrong decoy.................. A close friend of mine is a master at calling and decoying goats, he has 6 P&Y and the largest taken in SD with a bow to date.

Here is his biggest goat, I blurred him out as I didn't ask him if it was OK to show his face, but the goat is important! Notice he has it all size, mass and spade length one awsome goat!

[​IMG]

7. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    We will be going mid to end of September. Not sure what area. Going to apply for areas tonight. As far as decoys, what is the correct decoy for that period. I'm assuming you were talking about a smaller buck decoy. Any suggestions on decoying that you know of would be appreciated. I'm seen shows of people walking behind decoys. Also seen people sitting in a tent. Thanks for the information already given.

8. josh stevens

josh stevens Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about bringing my two boys antelope hunting in Wyoming maybe just go only wondering what you guys think would be best unit to put in for public land

9. josh stevens

josh stevens Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry meant doe only haha and do I need preference points for doe or are they over counter tags?

10. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pm dubbya he lives there

11. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure to check regulations and don't go down anything that looks like a road unless it has a marked sign.

A lot of Blm land is landlocked by private land which means they basically control their own land and Blm land. Unless you can drive through beforehand it is hard to tell what is landlocked and isn't. Some roads are on maps provided by state and also gps unit with Wyoming sd card. These roads that are on the maps and sd cars are actually private drives or roads unless a sign exists. A lot of places are marked private road because of this problem. We were around the Gillette area.

I'm not someone who trespasses and we did without knowing it. We drove on their road to the Blm. Even though we killed antelope on Blm land we were still at fault. Landowner that we ran into gave me the feeling they want people to go to "their" Blm land and then try to charge a trespass fee. Wasn't the best experience. Also sounded like it had happened several times before. We weren't charged with trespassing, but could have been.

To give you an idea of the road we drove in on. I drove a Honda Civic up it so it looked like a road. Although that car has been more places than most trucks. We also were shooting high powered rifles two days before season and no one cared until opening day of antelope season.

A guided service might bring a better experience for you. As said above. Contact dubbya as he guides and lives there. This is the route I would go if I did this again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  12. josh stevens

josh stevens Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Okay sounds good thanks for the help. Any idea if there's some kind of list to contact people who are willing to do trust pass fees