HHA King Pin / Optimizer Lite Pin Size

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jeremy/PA, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the market for a King Pin. I am also thinking about changing my pin size. My Optimizer Lite has a .019 pin and at times I feel like it is so bright that it covers what I am trying to see on the target.

I was experimenting yesterday with electrical tape kinda making my own rheostat and it seemed to help it a bit.

So my questions are:

Do you feel the .010 is too small for hunting? (Primary use, thinking lower light situations. I do have the blue burst light.)
    Will the .019 pin with the rheostat become "smaller" with the extended eye relief on the King Pin?
    Does the rheostat work as I imagine it does where it makes the pin not fuzz out when you adjust it?

Thanks!

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a HHA with a ,10 pin on it and I didn't care for it. It sucked when I was hunting in a ground blind. I bought a new sight housing for it with a .019 and replaced it. Still need the blue burst light in the blind in low light conditions, but in daylight it worked fine.
    I just bought my HHA KingPin and the .019 pin looks the same to me as it does on my DS-5519.
    I never have an issue with the pin being fuzzy. All I focus on is the little "ball point" on top of the pin when I am aiming.

3. Jeremy/PA

Dislikes Received:
    So you have never had the halo effect on it? You see a perfect little green circle all the time?

My eyes aren't bad. My peep seems to be perfectly aligned. Anything else it could be?

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Not that I can think of. I think you are doing everything right. I have heard of others seeing the halo effect, but I haven't. When you draw down on a target, do you look at the whole pin? I do briefly, but then a find the spot I want to shoot and hold the pin there. I look past the pin and make sure I am on the right spot. I don't look at the circle at the top until the moment I am ready to shoot. Maybe I am shooting wrong. My eyes are not the greatest, but they are not bad either. It could be haloing and me not see it. What is your shot process?

5. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the HHA TE5510, I love the .010 pin size. I have no problems with the pin being to small. I have .010 pin on rig I hunt at night with also & with the light you can see clearly, now at night if I turn the rheostat to bright at night k get the halo but keep turn low & it's great.

The .010 pin is also great for shooting longer ranges also. That's the main reason I switch, at 60yrds & farther the .019 pin would cover the target & my groups suffered.

6. Jeremy/PA

Dislikes Received:
    I did little testing over my lunch break today and I think the rheostat will be the way to go for me. I did the trick where you cover the fiber with a rubber band and it drastically toned back the pin. It gave me that perfect dot in the sight.

I am still a little torn as to what pin size to get on the King Pin, but I may just stay with .019. I want to extend my practice range out to the 60-70 yards which has me thinking about the .010 pin, but I think for hunting and shooting 3D courses the .019 may be better for me.

7. koby

koby Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the spott hogg hogg father single pin works great

8. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting the .10 pin for 3 years now. King pins for a year I haven't had any trouble at all very bright I can see very well but I have excellent eyesight

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk