Article Spurs Interest in Giant Buck

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Mar 1, 2016.

1. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    clearly.. We're still on the wrong point.

I'm commenting on your removal of hunting privileges for picking up this shed antler. You stated they should be removed from said persons.

I disagreed.

Then pointed out out I think it's strange when a man has contradiction in his actions or opinion of actions.

I have no idea why you keep bringing up trespasser.. I never mentioned it once until now.. But. You seem very adamant that you're against it. Great. Move on. That must be a conversation you're having in your head.

No soapbox here. Just find it odd you're so swift to take away a mans privilege to hunt because he took an antler... When your company endorses hunters who hunt in states that are not legal to bait in. I understand it's not your responsibility or your company's. I find it a strange.. Distorted view however. Since.. You'd have to be totally naive to believe these hunters who hunt in states where your product is illegal.. Don't use them. Or.. Your company is totally full of crap and the hunters who endorse your products in states where it's illegal don't use them at all.. Your call I guess. Which is it?

You understand the confusion.. Right?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  2. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you arent supposed to go into the Forest Preserve and you go in...what would you call those people? I would call them tresspassers! You get the confussion....right?

3. dukemichaels

Dislikes Received:
    Your allowed to go into the preserve. You just cannot collect anything from them.

you could get a ticket then.

im not sure where the trespassing comes from. It's something you've stated.

Of course.. Going after park hours is a totally different subject.

but again.. The communication portal is cut down.. Since I'm not discussing trespassing.. But instead your remark on hunting privileges.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are going in there with the intentions of taking something of great value that does not belong to you I am saying there should be a punishment. A small ticket doesn't stop someone from going after a shed worth thousands. Taking hunting privileges away might. You dont agree with that then that is your opinion. This is a hunting forum where we can give our opinion. You dont like mine fine bht I can tell you this I have never received any type of hunting or fishing violation in my life. So to try and compare me to someone breaking the rules is a joke. Who is on the soap box now Mike. I know this won't end because you want to make sure you show us you are smarter than the rest of us. So climb back up on that soap box and chastise me one more time I am done with this.

5. dukemichaels

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I like a good opinion backed by integrity.

Your opinion seems to be less integral. But it's yours.

I'm just glad you dropped the trespassing thing.. Which was never a part of the conversation.

6. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tom, the forest preserves here are open to the public, it's NOT trespassing. Now, taking antlers is illegal in there, but most people don't even know it, and the rest don't really care

7. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was wrong about that part then. A few years ago at the G TG a couple people were complaining about tresspassers taking sheds from the forest preserve.

8. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mike you want to keep bringing up my integrity because of mineral I find that funny. Have you EVER hunted a property where mineral was put out while it was illegal?!?

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh geesh, attacking someone's integrity on an online forum over an issue of idiots actively trying to break the law....classy post of the year so far.... smh.

10. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am not getting into the debate about the antlers!!!!!!!!
    How ever I can tell you this from experience. COOK county forest preserve where they allow people to play soccer near my old house. I was walking off the "trail" with my then 3 year old daughter and teaching her about the woods while we were picking top GARBAGE!!!! Audrey wanted a walking stick so I gave her a fallen branch. Minutes later the forest preserve "POLICE" stopped us and reprimanded us for taking the branch off of the ground. I was so mad at that point that Audrey and I emptied our back packs and a full garbage bag and i said "I guess we shouldn't have picked up all of their **** either".
    He then tried to give me a ticket for polluting. Until I pointed out that almost all of the garbage was in a different language and that it was not ours.
    Here in illinois we pay for all of this land with our taxes and conservation tax. BUt we are not allowed to use the land for anything we love to do. But others can use it to destroy it and leave trash everywhere.
    I am sorry Tom but you couldn't understand because you do not live here and do not have to deal with the bull crap we do on this matter.
    FYI I know a few people who work for the forest preserves and most of them have sheds in the sheds they use on the property…….

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think for a minute Tom is stating it makes sense you can't remove anything from the property...however it is illegal. Play stupid games you should get stupid prizes no?

12. bowhunter42

bowhunter42 BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just glad the closest public land to me is hours away. Besides a couple parks.

13. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think Having my daughter carry a stick while she picks up garbage is playing a stupid game.
    In the area we live in there is less property to even walk in the woods than anywhere I have lived.
    Forest preserve property is a property that can never be used as a piece of property for any type of a hunting related recreation.
    Conservation areas can be opened for hunting but gain you can not remove any thing i.e. Sheds from the property.
    I can guarantee the state of Illinois would allow shed and mushroom hunting if they could control an income from it.
    I'm sorry to say but guys that don't live in these areas with the restrictions we face won't understand what we deal with here.
    On the other side of it would you pass a 100" shed while walking a paved trail in the woods?
    Would you pass up a shed laying on the side of the road?
    Would you ever shoot a deer that has been hit by a car?
    Illinois law is that if you or anyone one else hits a deer while driving you are not allowed to dispatch the animal.
    I for one would be more than happy to take that ticket if I saw a deer suffering laying on the side of the road.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Michael you took my statement wrong, I agree that was stupid the example you said with your daughter.

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Further fyi, I hunt next to such a place. I can walk it but cannot take a thing from it at all. Not even a twig. I've turned over a couple dead heads to the DNR and such but it is part of the game...I don't like it but it is part of it.

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Then make it a LARGE ticket. That would wake up the average person. Taking their hunting rights away for collecting illegal sheds is a bit extreme. If they were in there killing deer, I could see it then.

17. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You can lose hunting privileges and get up to a $10,000.00 fine for taking an antler from Federal Wildlife Refuges and most national parks. It's not just the crook county forest preserve.

18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like the exact figures the CO told me when I asked if I could walk the place by me. Not worth it, not even if the antler is a 200inch shed.

19. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can attest to not knowing that along with alot of my friends. We went to a 3D shoot last year at a state park near where I live and they had signs all over saying not to take sheds. We asked and got told it was illegal on many state parks and land. I find it odd but it is what it is.

Now as far as this story goes I'm not sure a lifetime ban would be in order but obviously there should be some type of fine, the problem is except in this case it's pretty hard to enforce. Apparently this deer was known to alot of people so it may of been a little easier but you take the park I mentioned earlier and it would be pretty easy to walk along the trails and grab some sheds. Only because there's no one really there to enforce anything. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen a ranger cruising that park. Especially in the last couple of years. The funding simply isn't there. We've ran into that goin out camping the last couple times, spend half the time looking for someone to pay and if your in the horse park like we usually are unless they show up first thing in the morning all they have is a box at the end of lane the your supposed to drop money in. The state really is in great shape ha.

I also find it kinda funny to question the business practice of someone selling a product that really has no control after that product is sold. Do u blame a gas station that sells beer to someone that walks out and jumps in truck and pops open a cold one if they get down the road and crashes into someone? No I really don't think you would. And really you could go on and on with list of products sold that don't get used within the law. But you can't put it on the manufacturer or seller what their products get used for or how, all that would do is open up lawsuits.

20. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, technically it's not even a hunting violation, more of a theft. Hell, someone looking for sheds might not even hunt. You don't have to be a hunter to know these antlers are worth money.