Venison processing time

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swise660, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So this is our first time bringing in venison to have it made into sticks and summer sausage. Most of the time we have all our scrap ground into burger so I don't have any experience with how long it takes.

We brought in our meat on January 30th. We called a few days ago to see if it was done yet (and its not). This just seems like a long time being it's after the venison season so to speak.

When we brought it in, they had us bring it back to their walk in freezer. I didn't see any other venison in their freezer....heck their freezer was fairly empty in general so it's not like they are busy with venison.

Is this a long wait for non peak time or more normal?

2. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, you should have that by now!

3. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way too long, we usually have ours back in two-days tops. But a month is a little too long.

4. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get my stuff back within 2 weeks even if during their most busy time.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A decent butcher can process a deer in less than an hour, provided they have all the right equipment. Making jerky or summer sausage takes a bit longer but definitely should not be over a month.

6. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I felt like it was a long time to wait. My brother had sticks and sausage made at this same place and had it back in about a week and a half.

The meat we brought in was chunked up scrap so it's not like they had to cut up the meat before grinding or anything.

How would you deal with this situation? I am debating if I should call and nicely ask why it is taking so long or just let it go and not return if we decide to get something made of our scrap again.

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would definitely call as ask about it. You don't have to get upset just politely ask. If they give you grief I definitely would not go back. They may have written the info down wrong or lost the info. Doesn't hurt to ask and you have been patient so far right?

8. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We've been patient until this week. We have been kind about the situation and had nicely asked when we called to see if it was done a few days ago. We had to fill out all the info ourselves so it's definitely right but there is that possibility they lost it.

We aren't the type of people to get ugly or an attitude about things. So the situation will be handled in a well mannered way regardless but I am just starting to wonder why it is taking so long.

9. IAMIKE

IAMIKE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine takes a around a month. Quality takes time.

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been having deer butchered for 30+ years and NEVER waited a month for my deer meat. I'm talking 2 different butchers also.

11. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That seems way too long! I always process my own but back when I took mine in it would be done in probably a week

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is about month, but they're a big time operation (they do anything and everything along with a full commercial store and products sold at local grocery stores). They're pricey, too, but I haven't found someone who is remotely as good.

I only take one deer there a year, and usually for a portion of the deer to be done up (bologna and hot dogs).

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The couple processors near me are a week or less for most cuts/preparations.

14. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would call to check if you are worried. Just one note, it takes longer for them to process chunked up meat you bring in, compared to if you brought in a whole deer. Reason being they have to go through the meat chunks to make sure it is cleaned properly.

15. OH11

OH11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is about a month during peak season, but they also do hogs, beef and have their own store. Usually if I get one early season it takes about a week or less. I would call and ask, but as you said, be polite about it. I don't really want to mess with people handling my food lol.

16. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depending on how many deer the processor has to do and your place in line it could take a while. We take our scraps in to have burger, brats, and sausage made and it is usually about a month wait. While some guys can and will turn out your stuff in a day or two I worry about quality and if I am getting my actual meat I brought in. To me its ok to wait.

When you take a beef or pork in your don't get it back in a day or two so why expect it for a whitetail.

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's never taken more than 2-3 days when having the processor do it. Do they do beef and hogs too? The freezer you walked into was likely just their drop-off cold room. They might have had lots hanging in the actual processing room which is (should be at least) separate from the skinning and prepping room.

18. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would assume at the end of the season it would take longer. Just ask upfront next time. Hard to tell depending on locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Getting my deer processed takes anywhere from a couple of days to a month.
    Chuncked meat has taken longer.

20. pernat

pernat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This honestly depends on the processor. Myself having three plants that average 5000 whole deer and 100ton of boneless meat come through the door every year we turn our sausage and stix around at the most 6 to 8 weeks during the busiest time. Whole deer we have fresh cuts back to you the next day!