Are these decent decoys?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Marauder, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys,

I am looking into possibly buying some decoys. These would be my first so I don't want to break the bank. I see that Avian X are extremely nice decoys, but I don't want to spend that much my first time around. Primos is doing a sale on a combo for like 50.00. Anyone use these or have any other suggestions?

Amazon.com : Primos Gobstopper Jake & Hen Decoy Combo : Sports & Outdoors

2. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For $50, yeah... they're decent. :)

3. noah_zomermaand

noah_zomermaand Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the gobblestopper jake decoy and my first time using it last year 2 toms beat the crap out of the thing and it worked great! And a great price

4. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look up the Mossy Oak Turkey Thugs on eBay. I have them. 3 decoy combo for around $40-50. They are pretty good too.

5. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. Ryan Slingerland

Ryan Slingerland Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes they are a pretty decent decoy for 50 bucks. I have a couple primos hen decoys that have worked very well for me in the past.

7. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    Any tips that have worked well for you in the past?

8. Ryan Slingerland

Ryan Slingerland Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Early in the season I usually use 2 hens and no tom or jake decoy. The toms have a pretty good selections of hens to choose from early season so I find in my area they don't get to jealous early season. I usually try facing the hens away from where I expect the toms to come from that way it looks like they are walking away from him once he sees them. If you are hunting with a bow and not in a blind try set up so the turkey will strut past you that way once hes past you and in full strut you have a chance to draw. Later in the season ill setup 1 hen either in the breeding position with the tom a foot or 2 behind her and if I decide to use a second hen ill put her 5 to 10 feet ahead of the other hen. Having your decoys moving a bit from the wind can be very important to. Theres also days in the late season that if im hunting in timber Ill leave my decoys at home and just set up, wait for them to come down and from there ill try call them closer. If they don't come in its important to be mobile. Im not scared to try stalk closer to them or to try cut them off. another thing that works is to move closer to them while you are calling and then stay in one spot for 5 minutes and call a bit and scratch the ground like a feeding hen and then move away again, calling the whole time. Sometimes thatll bring them running in. Other than that just feel it out once you get into the field in the morning and don't be scared to change your setup once your out there either. Hope this info is helpful :)

9. Marauder

Dislikes Received:
    That is very helpful! Thanks for the tips! :tu: