Broadhead tuning

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by killer chill-r, Feb 22, 2016.

1. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was trying to tune my Nitrum for Broadheads & I can't seem to get them to hit with my field points, I'm thinking it may be shooting to fast (308fps). If I move my rest nothing changes. The Broadheads hit the same distance from the field points. I've check to make sure they are not wobbling, the spin true. Now j can take the same arrow & shot it out of my Arena 30 that tuned great & I can cut the canes off the field point arrow. But I just can't get it to group with my Nitrum. Any ideas? They are DRT heads.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is your draw weight?

If you move the rest and both arrows move the same then you could be looking at a spine issue.

A turn or two on the limb bolts might be just enough to allow the rest to be tuned.

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by this?

4. Bulldog18

Bulldog18 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lower your draw weight by a turn or two and see if that changes things. If it does it is a spine issue. What is your set-up.

5. early in

Dislikes Received:
    If he's grouping well with field points, but not broadheads, at whatever weight he's shooting, how does changing draw weight alter the situation?

6. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the broadhead consistently hits to the right of the field point it's due to a arrow that is too weak or a draw weight that is too high. As the arrow leaves the bow it flexes too much and is pointed slightly towards the right. The vanes will correct the flaw on a field point but a broadhead will amplify it and steer the arrow off course.

This applies to a right hand bow. It's the opposite for a leftie.

7. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    Set up is :
    Nitrum Turbo
    65# DW
    30" DL
    Maxima Reds 350 spine
    100gr head

I just picked up some Easton Nemesis in 340 spine gonna try those. They are a little heavier. 435gr Nemesis vs 400gr Reds.

8. early in

Dislikes Received:
    How could this be the case if both field points and broadheads are the same weight?

9. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I doubt that arrow weight is your problem but it just might work. I'm pretty sure it's a spine issue. Even thought the chart says that you are using the right spine, that isn't always the case in real life.

My arrows did the same as yours when I broadhead tuned. The broadhead would hit about 3 inches to the right of the field point no matter where I moved the rest. Finally, I gave my limb bolts a full turn and a half out. Just like that, the field point and broadhead hit together. Next I turned the limb bolts back in a quarter turn and shot. Still together. In another quarter. Still together. In another quarter. 3 inches apart. Backed back out a quarter turn and they came right back together.

Sometimes a quarter turn is all it takes.

What side do your broadheads hit? If it's to the right, back off the pounds a little. If it's to the left then turn up the pounds a little.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  10. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weight isn't the issue. The trouble is with the spine of the shaft and how much the arrow flexes in reaction to the shot.

11. elange_11

elange_11 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It is also a issue because feildpoints are aerodynamic and broadheads aren't

12. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Broadheads are less aerodynamic than field points putting more stress on the shaft.

13. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    The Broadheads hit to the left. I'm gonna try this & see what happens.

14. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    60 to 65 pounds of draw weight is right on the line between 400 and 340 on the spine charts. A small adjustment to the draw weight can be just enough to tip the scales on the arrow tune but you won't feel anything as far as how it pulls and holds etc.

15. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, when I got home I had just a few minutes to try this out. I didn't mess with the draw weight yet, instead the DRT's has modular weight weight. So I installed the 25gr weight & shot. Now the broadhead & field point are a lot closer together. We're talking about 1.5-2". But I was shooting standing in the shot & my target was light up with my green kill. I will re-shoot in the morning when it's brighter.

Thanks for all the help.

16. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since your broadhead is hitting left that means your arrow is slightly too stiff. Adding weight to the tip makes an arrow act weaker which acomplishes the same thing as adding draw weight. I forgot about the DRTs having the modular weight. I'm glad you are getting it to work.

Sure is a good feeling when you make that last little adjustment and everything falls into place.

17. Govtrapper

Govtrapper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious if you have yoke tuned? Your arena may be tuned correctly but since your nitrium is new strings could have stretched an need to retune. Check for cam lean. With the maxima reds your not weak in a 350 spine.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

18. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't yoke tuned. I don't have a press & the only shop I trust is a hour away. I'm headed that direction next week & km gonna take it & let them check it. But for now it's starting shoot right.

19. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    I got the broadheads & field points to hit close together by adding the weight, but I video the flight of the arrow & the tail of the arrow is all over the place. They group good & hit where I'm aiming, but the tail is whipping side to side. So I shot my nemesis out of it & the same thing. So I was talking to a bow hunter friend & he said with the cams that in the Turbo they my be a little harsh for the 350 spine & I should shoot 300 spine & see what happens.Then I get my 300 spine Beman hunters they fly straight now tail whip or anything. So should I just go with a 300 spine or shoot the 350 Reds since they group well?

20. killer chill-r

Dislikes Received:
    Update:
    I took the bow to my shop that I use all the time (not the one I bought the bow from!). Had the guy there check it out for me. Needless to say it was all screwed up! The top cam was a twist & a half hot, the rest timing was hot, nocking point was high & center shot was off a little. He re-tuned every thing for me got every thing set right & started paper tuning had to play with clocking the vanes so I wouldn't get any rest interference. Then he set me up a few "test arrows" with 3" feathers, oh wow those things flew awesome. Got home & some my broadheads, since I didn't take any with me, clocked all my vanes where I wouldn't get any interference & they group awesome with my field points. 40yrds the field points & Broadheads hit about 2"to the right. So i figure just a minor rest adjustment to get them over to dead center. When I have the money I'm gonna go back & get some Maxima Reds with 3" feathers! I couldn't believe how they flew. Thanks BB4tw for all your help!!