2016 Colorado Elk camp invite!

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by soccerdan90, Jan 16, 2016.

1. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Greg - do you plan to put in for Muley tag before the April 5th cutoff?

2. frogtosser

frogtosser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope so, we just sold our house now and close April 15th so it's gonna be hectic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man I'm dying for September to get here but I got a list of stuff to buy yet. I'm going all out this year. Undecided if I'll apply for a deer tag yet. This trips going to cost me too much as it is.

Very few on here know this, but my wife left me right before Christmas. I haven't been posting much but I've been keeping up to date. This trip is needed, I need to get away badly.

4. BACKSTRAPASSASSIN

BACKSTRAPASSASSIN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dan...get the deer tag!!!!...you know how many mulies we saw...and look at Gregs monster...can you imagine walking in on that and not having a tag...I'm sorry to hear about your situation...you are a good guy and im sure blue skies are ahead my friend...wish I was camping with ya again this year!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man. I'm done feeling sorry for myself! I talked with Dave and the unit I'll be in only issues doe tags so no deer tag for me!

6. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Dan - sorry to hear that...and hang in there...time heals all things (and the elk mountains will sure help). You and Dave need to double up then head on down to Will's big camp to celebrate:)...I'm buying!

For those still following along and looking to attend - Will tells me that camp will remain in GMU 45 this year for those that want to apply for Mule Deer tags (Deadline to apply is April 5th). This area is known to grow some giant bucks.
    Of course - elk tags are OTC and can be purchased at WalMart or BassPro as you pull into CO.

Unseasonably warm weather here in IL has gotten me in the mood earlier than usual this year and I've already been enjoying some long runs outside on Saturday mornings. I always enjoy the journey leading up to elk camp.

Here is a pic I took on my first trip in 2010. Just like whitetail hunting at home, it always seems better when the weather rolls in...this particular day the clouds were hanging low, temps were chilly, and I heard bugling all morning.

[​IMG]

This would be the day my new camp buddy Justin (Utah) would connect on a 5x4 bull...as they were still bugling and responding to his calls at 11:00am that morning. Magical Day in the dark timber.
    Justin is a regional PSE rep who has attended multiple camps over the years...he just text me last night to tell me my bow I sent him has been restrung and retuned...on it's way back to me now...looking forward to getting back on a regular shooting schedule.

Who's in for Will's Camp?

It's about time to start the fire for 2016...

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that Dan.

Enjoy the hunt!!!

8. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man. It sucks and I'm terribly hurt by this but I got 2 little girls to focus on and also need to focus on me and my life.

9. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Yes time will heal this for sure. Sucks now but I got good friends and family to help me through.

I truly hope to take you up on that offer! Would be fantastic for Dave and I to double up! Dave deserves an elk. He's too stubborn to not kill one!

10. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dan , I'm truly sorry to hear that man. I went through the same thing in 2009. Time will heal but the most important thing is those babies. Get out in the woods aND clear your head but I am truly sorry to hear that bc you seem like such a nice dude. One day at a time. God bless.

11. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man. It's something I thought I'd never have to go through. But such is life.

12. bradn4201

Dislikes Received:
    It does suck, I know this, but things do get better. Just let those girls know that it's adult stuff and not their fault and keep yourself straight. I crawled in to a bottle of whiskey and had to get myself out . Just don't make that mistake and put your girls first and everything will work out. You will be in my prayers.

13. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Staying far away from the bottle. Won't do that to my girls. I appreciate the prayers!

14. bradn4201

Dislikes Received:
    And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity , and the water of affliction, ye shall not the teachers be removed into a corner anymore ,but thine eyes shall see thy teachers. And thine ears shall hear a word behind the,saying, this is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left. = even though you feel lost, God will whisper in your ear where you need to go and what you need do.

15. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
  16. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As Matt and Dan may already know, I've had my fair share of hard knocks just lately and am struggling to find the drive to even get fit for this trip, but I'd already paid for my flight, so the show must go on. I do need to find something to encourage, drive and push me forward, I'm sure things will come together soon, so keep posting them pictures Matt!!!!

Dan,
    I deserve my Elk just for putting up with you for 2weeks and we'll have none of that Brokeback Mountain s#!t going on either ;)

17. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    We've both had a tough year my friend. And I'm still refusing ur offer to share your one man tent. I'll buy my own...

18. frogtosser

frogtosser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man you guys will be pitching tents all over those mountains.

19. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Do I hear some jealousy? Lol

20. bz_711

Dislikes Received:
    Dave,
    Here's a random shot from 2012...I'm confident you've stood in this exact spot...beautiful high county! The hour that followed this picture ranks among my greatest in the elk mountains (and no elk were harmed - just one arrow skipped off a cow's back:))
    Now get in shape as you know it's never easy accessing these kind of spots...

[​IMG]