Open letter to POTUS from local sheriff

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by RugerRedbone, Feb 15, 2016.

1. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last week two deputies were shot and killed here. Very shocking for this area. This is a letter from a neighboring sheriff that I thought was a good read in light of many current events.

Dear President Obama:

In case you haven’t heard, eight American police officers over the past eight days have been killed in the line of duty. Two of these police officers were Harford County Sheriff’s Deputies that were gunned down at a Panera Restaurant just 50 miles from where you live. I’ve watched and listened intently for words of encouragement and sorrow to come from you, but haven’t heard or seen anything.

Conversely, just two weeks ago my governor, Larry Hogan, spent the better part of a week placing a call each day to one of my deputies that was involved in a severe traffic collision in Carroll County. He wasn’t satisfied with speaking to me in order to send his prayers and regards; he called every day after the collision until he spoke with my deputy’s wife. Governor Hogan also drove to Harford County the day after two deputies were slain to meet Sheriff Gahler and the men & women of his office to grieve with them. The governor is in the middle of the 2016 Legislative Session and is pretty busy, yet found time to call, visit and pay his respects to me & my deputy, and the men & women of the Harford County Sheriff’s Office.

I understand that you are a busy man and are being pulled in multiple directions every day of the week. But, when my president doesn’t take the time to openly recognize the sacrifices that brave men & women of law enforcement make each day to keep domestic peace, I’m disappointed! I suspect that if these same deputies walked in to a restaurant, and without provocation shot and killed an innocent man, you and your staff would quickly whisk their family away to Washington for a future speech to make an example of police officers nationwide.

For me Mr. President, it has nothing to do with Republican or Democrat; black or white, male or female; but, it has everything to do with leading or following. I’m not shocked that you haven’t openly reached out or acknowledged publically the recent rash of deaths in law enforcement, but I’m tremendously disappointed!

Mr. President, your silence about these events SPEAKS VOLUMES!!!!

PS: I'll be standing outside in the cold next week with my deputies for the funerals of the Harford Co deputies; I'll save you a spot next to me!

James T. DeWees
    Sheriff
    Carroll County Maryland

2. wisconsin bow hunter

wisconsin bow hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What?!?!?!?! is that the sound of crickets in the background?!?!?!? Pitiful...

3. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was that same Sherrif quick to be out raged about some other group or persons senseless death ?
    People are way to quick to want to stand up for your own group but how quiet was this cop on other people's senseless deaths. Seems hipocritical or insensitive to not be outraged about it all, not just clue in on it because you're a cop and so where they.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sad to say buy we should expect it from him by now. this letter will fall on deaf ears, or maybe into a staffers trash.

5. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm confused by this. He was calling out the leader of our country for ignoring the deaths of our LEOs while shining a spotlight on things like Freddy Gray and the Ferguson thug.(Michael something?) The vast majority of LEO in this country are great people who do a very dangerous job and are vilified every day by the media. If he cared to he could help change the "**** the police" narrative of late by addressing these types of situations with the same emphasis he gives BLM causes.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Clearly the Sheriff is referencing how the POTUS has a tendency to jump on some of these police shooting and get everyone all fired up about how unjust of a system we have, only to later find out that typically the officer involved was justified in the shooting. He does not stand up to the people of the United States and ask that they respect law enforcement and abide by the laws of this nation, his actions actually seem to promote the opposite in many cases. His actions have divided this country racially and politically more than any other president in my lifetime.

7. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You are exactly right skywalker. He is really quick to sympatize with the families of criminals who were shot, but never stands up and supports our police officers....sigh

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Imagine that, a dirtbag piece of **** is more willing to embrace criminals and criminal activity than to rush to confort fallen LEO's and their families....here's my shocked face.... 0.o