Why do Bowhunters Drop Out by Age 50?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunting.com Staff, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know where you are coming from regarding injuries. I'm in pain everyday but have just kind of gotten used to it over time. Here is my list of the main one's:

- Fractured tibia and fibula playing high school football
    - separated shoulder playing high school football (archery actually helped strengthen shoulder a lot over the years)
    - Three compression fractures in spine from a car accident
    - Fractured wrist and hand in snowmobile accident

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  2. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, I'm a suburban hunter too, and lack of good places to hunt has a lot to do with my losing interest. Everyone wants to hunt in Westchester County NY, well I'm here to tell you it is NOT all everyone thinks it is. It used to be, but not anymore. Trespassing hunters, poachers, dog walkers, and tree huggers constantly ruining hunts tends to get discouraging.

3. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not that this is a crossbow thread but heres my 2 cents. I don't necessarily think its easier for a guy who uses a crossbow. Sure it might be easier to make a accurate shot but you have to admit todays bows are pretty damn good compared to what they use to be.

Use my dad for example. 2 years ago he got a crossbow. He does have health issues but he still hikes around through the woods with me in the offseason at times to check cams. When he went to a crossbow it was actually harder on him getting to and from the stand due to the thing being 8+ pounds and then having to either carry his climber or portable stand with him. I personally could see that it was harder on him that when he had a bow.

A few months ago I told him that he should still be using a bow. He previously hunted with a older PSE bow with 65% let off at about 65 pounds. I told him he should be able to find a nice used bow with 80% LO and hunt with it at like 55 pounds and should have no problem at all. One of these days i'll convince him.

I have nothing against people who use crossbows and I hate it when I see people rip on guys because they use a crossbow. Its their choice so they can do what they want. If you don't like it then move on instead of being a **** to guys for hunting with their weapon of choice.

In my dads instance, I think he still is capable of hunting with a bow so i'll keep bugging him :)

4. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't even start bow hunting until 59. I'll be 65 in September of this year and am pulling 70 pounds after both shoulders and a knee were dismantled and put back together.

Clean living and a good wife. Well a good wife anyway.

Roland

5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think me climbing trees for the last 34 years has something to do with my ability to hunt like I do today. I do get/have my aches and pains from time to time because of the work I do, but my overall vitality is better at 59 than a lot of guys much younger. I'll use my CB on certain occasions as well during the season, but my health has nothing to do with it, I just like to break things up sometimes.

6. jaydon691

jaydon691 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ruck, where ya from in Westchester? I'm in New Canaan, CT which borders Pound Ridge and Vista. It's the same here but I keep going. If you wanna come over the border, I will put you in some stands with 140"+ deer still roaming but you have to reciprocate in Westchester!!!

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The things I've learned from this thread:

1. Motorcycles and snowmobiles are bad
    2. Playing football is bad
    3. Crossbows are bad
    4. There is such a thing as an "aggressive" soccer goalie :)
    5. The 50+ group of BHOD did not kill a buck this year, but we still love them and their reading glasses!

I love how guys are like, "I'll never hunt with a crossbow, but I haven't actually hit and recovered a deer with my compound in five years!"

Or "crossbows are ridiculous, that's cheating... Hey ma'am do you have the Winchester Deer Season XP in 165 grain?"

8. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hate crossbows. I just think they would be more of a pain in the arse to hunt with then they are worth for the way I hunt. I hunted with a recurve bow for a little over a year. It sucked the fun out of hunting for me so I quit that and went back to compound. The recurve bow was a pain to stalk with in trees and out in the open when you had little cover to hide in. My back and shoulder didn't miss it either when I quit it.

For me... you just can't beat a short axle to axle compound bow whether in trees, stalking or hunting in cattails. I don't care what others hunt with... I only care what I hunt with.

I don't hunt over bait piles because I don't want to.
    Hunting in a ground blind or tower stand isn't my cup of tea.
    I have no interest in putting in food plots.
    Peep sights annoy me so I don't use one.
    I laugh when I see people twist their wrist to make their bow fall forward after the shot. How is that good for form/follow through ?? I have my bows setup so the bow doesn't fall forward or backwards after the shot. I want it dead in my hand after the shot.
    I've killed deer in blue jeans and stinky work clothes.

I hunt to make me happy. It is a simple concept. One I enjoy.

Tim

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To me switching over to a crossbow would be an indication that I am not aging well, a crossbow would be a compromise or admitting that I am getting old. I don't see any harm in postponing that as long as possible.

It is kinda cute when the soccer players say me too when old football players talk about injuries.:biggrin:

10. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    52 here and I feel like the hunting is getting better every year, Ill stop bow hunting when I die:bhod:

11. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday we went to the western hunting expo. Walked around for a few hours, stopped at the Cracker Barrel on the way home. Complained about our sore backs and then went to bed. Welcome to 'old'. Heh

12. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't imagine losing an interest in bow hunting. I can't believe that's even a thing :bhod:

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Haters :) You'll be here eventually too...I think the lesson should be to take care of yourself and body when you're younger because some injuries never really go away...

While I'm on my soapbox...so long as the Lord blesses me with enough strength and ability to use my bows, I'll stick with it...but there is something wonderful about being in the woods. The bow just is a great excuse...:)

If you're bored, the goalie move (knee up) around 1:10 became one of my survival moves. Apart from my injuries I think I doled out 1 broken arm, a leg, several concussions...on the flip side broken collar bone, concussions, many sprains, strains, bumps and bruises came my way.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dgx8iLvxdt0

14. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Damn. guess I should have dropped out about 16 years ago !!!!!!!! Well, I missed the dropout date, so I guess I'll just keep on doing what I love to do, BOWHUNT !!!!!!!!

15. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I`ll be 47 this summer, and I gotta tell all you guys and gals. I`ll stop bowhunting when the Lord Above decides its time for me to meet Him!

16. northwestmulie

northwestmulie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    67 and still going strong

17. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be 45 this year and have been shooting bows and hunting since I was 12. I have had 2 back surgeries (weight lifting injuries) and a bicep surgery (motorcycle injury) but my interest in archery has not waned. I did have to switch from traditional bows back to compounds around 2008 but I still love archery hunting. It's the only type of hunting I do anymore.

18. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    55 years old here and I had no problem killing a decent buck or drawing 62# on an 80% let off compound this year. I did however, have to have my reading glasses to fill out the damn tag.:lol:

19. Pastor Scotty

Pastor Scotty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scotty Here:

I might be wrong but I hunt to be in nature and with my God. My 70# tribute was getting a little hard to pull back after chemo so I got a new #60 prodigy.

I also love the time practicing with my son. Have to make sure I don't over do it, but I love mystical flight of the arrow like Uncle Ted Says.

Scotty

ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1455492520.158974.jpg

20. fordnut

fordnut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Father Time gets all of us mentally or physically or both. Iam 57 & still shoot 72lbs Hoyt CST. The Lord has only allowed me so many sunrises & sunsets. Don't want to miss no more than I have to.