Eye dominance

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by in_the_woods_of_WV, Jan 13, 2016.

1. in_the_woods_of_WV

in_the_woods_of_WV Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am right handed but my left eye is dominant. I have seen a couple sights that claim to work. But i was told i could simply move my sight to the other side of my riser , has anyone tried it ? And did it work ? Or any suggestions that would allow me to continue to shoot right handed would be greatly appreciated.

2. choppersk61

choppersk61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'M in the same position as you are.

I shoot right handed since that feels more natural holding the bow (or a rifle)...
    I just close my left eye and shoot with my ''weak'' eye. Been shooting like that for 8 years now, no problems.

The only down side I find is that I cannot shoot with both eyes open, loosing a bit on what's happening around the targets, specially when you have a moving animal, but that's all.

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I will be watching this thread because I have to help my wife deal with the same situation.

One idea I've heard is to use an eye patch over your left eye to train yourself to aim with the right eye. That's the first thing we are going to try. Maybe it will work, maybe not...

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am right handed, but left eye dominant as well. I close my left eye as well and shoot using my weak eye. I always have with any weapon I have ever shot.

3 Shot Group at 30 yards with HHA sight Probably the best group I have ever shot!

[​IMG]

FYI...It is a very good "problem" to have if you play baseball or golf and you swing right handed. You can see the ball coming from the pitcher easier and you never lose sight of the golf ball during your swing.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  5. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sam, you're right about that as far as baseball!

As I got older though, my "weak" right eye sight deteriorated to the point that I could no longer focus on both the target and the pun. So I finally had to switch to LH- and I'm glad I did. No issues, and after only a few hours I shot LH as good as I ever did RH.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Besides closing your dominant eye, you could shoot without a peep. Just need to make sure you have multiple lock points to ensure you are in a consistent position. I haven't tried but I think the IQ Sights with the Retina Lock might would real well for you.

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I highly recommend switching hands to match eye dominance.

8. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would switch bows.
    IMO you can train your "off" hand...your non-dominant eye,not so easy.

9. in_the_woods_of_WV

in_the_woods_of_WV Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The eye patch seems to work for now. Im going to order a sabo sight , and use a kisser button instead of the rear peep.

10. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When my wife was starting to shoot we got into this. Every Pro shop I talked to said always go with dominate eye. The rest will follow.

11. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm left handed, but right eye dominant. I close one eye when shooting lefty. I have been doing it that way a long time and it comes second nature to me. A couple of years ago I bought a RH bow to try it out. I shoot it pretty well and use it as my back up. I have become very comfortable shooting righty and I now hunt with my "back up" bow almost as much as my LH bow.

12. chachy

chachy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just found this out with my wife and daughter. Fortunately, neither of them have shot a bow before. We are going to the range today to see what feels more comfortable RH or LH. I will update how it works for them.

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Keep us posted on how it goes.

14. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great way to start out with a clean slate and find out what feels right. (or left!)

15. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went round and round with this for my wife and her problem was she couldn't close her left eye without squinting her right. Tried eye patch and it was a pain, tried red-dot sight with slider and that made the bow way heavy, etc.. Best thing we ever did was switch her over to a LH bow. Her strength grew fast using it too.

16. chachy

chachy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    UPDATE. My wife didn't shoot, but my daughter did. She is 9, and this was her first time shooting. She first tried a RH set up (she is right handed, but left eye dominant). She did ok, and then switched to LH set up. They were using Genesis bows that the range provided, with no peephole or anything, but she was much more comfortable with a LH set up despite being right handed. Even though there wasn't a peephole, she was shooting more accurately left handed (not drastically, but a difference). This was her first time at the range, so I am interested to see how she progresses. I am also interested to see how she would do with a peephole sight. Due to her comfortability now, I think she will be a lefty! Next time, I will try to get my wife to shoot some and will update that experiment.

17. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat. Have been shooting right handed for a long time and am left eye dominant. I think if this is something you can avoid, you should. If you are a first time shooter, go with your dominant eye and not your strong hand. I've been shooting firearms and bows for too long now and have found myself adapted and settled in to where I've made it work for me.

18. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a good friend, wife and Dad that are left eye dominant and right handed. They all shoot left handed. They all tell me that it was natural for them to shoot anything left handed. I had to learn to shoot left handed to help my wife out. I have to close my right eye to do that or it ends up bad for the arrow.
    My friend would try to shoot right handed and look down his rifle scope with his right eye. That worked until he was whacked in the eyebrow with the scope. It was easy to get him to shoot left handed.

19. mike71198

mike71198 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you new to shooting a bow. My wife is left handed but right eye dominated, and she had never shot a bow before. We just got her a right handed bow and taught her to shot that way. With her never shooting a bow I think it made it easier to teach her from the beginning with a rh bow. It might feel awkward at first but in a short while the strength will build up

20. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a lefty, who shoots a RH from a compound bow standpoint. I shoot a rifle/pistol with my left, but with a bow, or frisbee, it's tighty righty all day! Eye dominance, depends, on what I'm shooting at that P&T!