Would you rather

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dnoodles, Feb 3, 2016.

1. gdatre

gdatre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hands down invest in the land.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're probably right, but there's something to be said for taking a deer off your own land. I've killed deer on public ground, family owned ground, friends ground and my own land and there's a very strong feeling of accomplishment on my own land that I don't feel on those other types of land.

3. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Land, no doubt. Most of the reasons have been mentioned. I enjoy land for more than just hunting as well. Privacy, walks, hiking, shooting, food plotting/timber harvesting, place for my son to play freely, etc. All are priceless to me.

I'm already in the process of making this happen. I also plan to go on a few hunts in my lifetime essentially having my cake and eating it, too :)

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Land for sure.

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Land is no doubt the wiser investment but not necessarily the wiser choice for memories sake. A dream hunt is faster and easier to acquire and less expensive overall. Land is more rewarding in the long term and a wiser investment of the money IMHO.

Personally, I'd take buying the land option and try to save up for a dream hunt too.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both. I don't see them being mutually exclusive. In fact I see thinking along these lines as defeatist and causes one to put limits on their potential and experiences.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The land option for me.

9. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Land.

10. Freelance Bowhunter

Freelance Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How much would your payments on the land be?

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I'll be the first to say the dream hunt. I like adventure too much (it's why I moved to Alaska). Land is a great investment to play it safe. If I'm tying up that much money I'd rather do it in an investment that generates revenue for me though.

While I chose adventure, I'd also never in a million years spend 30-40k on one hunt. I have already decided I choose to go on 3-4 adventurous hunts a year vs paying the interest/taxes on a decent chunk of land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Freelance Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Many people are "things" driven, meaning they like to have nice stuff. They take the safe route, work a job with a regular paycheck and most likely they are a slave to payments for cars, mortgages, etc. I have not made a car payment since 1985 and I have no debt other than a mortgage for a modest home. I usually buy a truck with about $100,000 miles on it and drive it till it drops.

I am experience driven, not things driven.

I have been able to hunt a lot of states and Canadian provinces on a modest income because that's what's important to me. I provide for my family (raised five kids), my wife of 37 years is happy with what I provide for her, most of the time. I hunt and fish... a LOT. I write about it and it pays the bills.

Having said that, I would never consider putting down only $20,000 on a 120 acre piece of property and becoming a slave to the payments. Would I spend $20,000 on a hunt? I don't know because I have never had that much that wasn't allocated elsewhere. If past indicators are worth anything, I doubt it. Reference the number of whitetail racks in a pile in the corner of my garage for evidence. There are a few in there that most people would have had mounted, but I would rather use the money on the next hunt.

So I guess there's your answer. To each his own, but I am going hunting. You only live once.

Cynically speaking, you buy a piece of property thinking you are leaving a legacy to your kids, then they just sell it and fight over the money when you are gone.

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That would all depend on your down payment, interest rate, and the term of the loan. Obviously were not talking apples to apples. There's no doubt land takes a substantial commitment of funds over a long period of time, but it's an investment not a purchase. The land will increase in value, unlike many other things we purchase. Including a hunting trip or hunting lease. The money you put into the land today will most likely all be repaid back to you down the road and you will have enjoyed years of benefits from the use of that land. I know people who have purchased land and immediately had it selectively harvested and basically paid off half of their investment from the one time cutting. I know others that lease out the tillable acres and basically cut their land payments in half or more just from the farming lease.

I'm not opposed to spending big money on a once in a lifetime trip, but I would much rather the land options. I'm already doing it, just on a fairly small scale with 40 acres.

14. Freelance Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My point was that we are not comparing apples to apples so we are in agreement. It's all about personal preference, but purchasing a large piece of prime land takes a lot more long term commitment than going on a hunt.

Friend of mine bought two 80-acre pieces back when the CRP program was just getting rolling. The CRP payments made the land payments and he now owns the land free and clear. Sold one of the 80's for more than 10 times what he paid for it and retired. Can't really do that these days, land prices are too high.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  15. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a great thought process.

I earlier said land, however, after siting here thinking I might change my answer. Land would be so nice, but at the same time...locks you into where you hunt. I started a few years back hunting different areas, in that the experience has been worth it to me.

Beat answer would be....both. :rock:

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think this is kind of where my thought process is trending...I mean, I am absolutely going to buy some land one of these days. But my family is spread out and I'm not planning on having kids, and I already travel for whitetail hunting. Had a lot of good times packing up and hitting the road, exploring new areas and running and gunning once I hit the woods. Sure I'm not a land manager and I don't get to watch the same animal go from spike to 6 to 8+ as the seasons pass, but I get the excitement of making the instant judgement call of what is or isn't a shooter...basically anything over 120" is going to get shot at if one is presented. I'll likely not see anything better.

I like to explore almost as much as I like to hunt. Doing a DIY public land Idaho elk hunt only reinforced that feeling. I almost wonder if I'd be bored hunting the exact same plot decade after decade. In another 10 years or so these knees probably won't be able to take the beating they can now, so for me...I'm leaning towards the destination hunt of a lifetime.

That being said, if you know anyone in the Great Lakes states or KY who is looking to unload 80-120 acres of prime whitetail land for $1500/acre or less; feel free to PM me!

17. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Land no question

18. Talon_Ab77

Talon_Ab77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you get the chance to go on your dream hunt, my advice is to grab it with both hands. You don't want to look back and say 'I wish
    I did that'.

19. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My pal and I bought a 3rd. generation deer camp in western ny. and it was sold to us because we were deer hunters and were going to keep the hunting tradition alive. A hunt is a hunt, but the continuation of the tradition of hunting and the pioneer spirit which helped form this great country is undeniable. We are losing the fight boys and girls. I am 60 yrs. old and I feel like the Indian in the commercial with the single tear running down his face. Protecting the natural way of life is THE most important thing we can do. Look around, where I grew up It was a farming community of about 7000. Now its 38000 people with no open space and million dollar homes, and No discharge of firearms regulations. Its all about the almighty dollar and raping the land and destroying everything in the natural world. We are the next dinosaurs. Greed now rules the world.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  20. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    this is the perfect answer! the other thing with land is that they aren't making any more of it.