Kid's Homework Question

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Lester, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Curious how much homework your kids that are in middle and high school get?

2. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter is in middle school and my son just started high school and neither hardly ever have homework. I know it was a long time ago but I remember getting a lot of homework especially in high school.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter doesn't tend to have much homework either, but she has a period where they don't have an actual class and can work on it. She is disciplined enough to use that time wisely and typically gets the majority of it done. Other kids in her class(7th) don't and they seem to have homework every night. With all the extra curricular activities and travel sports she is involved in, she has to really manage her time wisely or she would get overwhelmed.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My kindergardener gets homework every night. So does my 3rd grader. I'd say the K has about 10-15 min of homework and the 3rd grader has ~30min of homework.

I know when I was in middle school we got homework but I didn't do it. :lol:

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've got 2 still in high school, on average I'd say 2-3 hrs/night. YMMV.

6. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    My K and 2nd grader have more homework nightly than my 2 high schoolers.

7. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter is in 6th grade and I would guess hers runs about 30 minutes a night average.

8. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter is a junior and gets most of it done in a study hall or whatever they call that free period now. She never brings anything to work on at home.

9. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The teachers don't want to mess with it!

10. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had maybe 3 hours of homework a week in high school.

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I remember having lots of homework to do. Not that I did it, but it was there. We homeschool so I'm not a good reference to go off of. Our friends that have children in school don't mention that they have a lot of homework.

12. Julian.

Julian. Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a junior in high school and rarely get homework but even when I do there is enough free time to finish it at school.

13. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My son wishes he did more homework now. He did more homework in middle school and was on the A honor roll every quarter. He just missed the A honor roll the first quarter of high school. My wife told him if he isn't doing homework she expects A's and if he didnt she was taking away his X box for the qaurter. 3.42 GPA second qaurter and just missed again so no X bad for 9 weeks.

14. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shew, mine were just happy if we got above C's but I do know others that ground their kids for getting A minuses. Seems crazy to me but then again I will want them to get as much college grant money for grades as possible too when that time comes for my kids lol

15. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I average about 30-60 min of HW every night. It really depends, most times i have time in school to get a good amount of it done

16. Eddie234

Eddie234 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter is a senior, she gets most of her homework from her honors classes. Her reg teachers have said they don't give homework because kids nowadays have too much on there plate. I figure the teachers just done want to deal with it. Back in my day teachers had to grade test, now they just run the bubbles sheet threw the reader and its all graded.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

17. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Research has shown that homework doesn't help with learning so yes, teachers don't want to devote their time to something that isn't actually going to help. They would rather put that energy into something that is beneficial for their students. Also, I have been in a lot of different schools and I have never seen a single machine that reads bubble sheets. I am aware of their existence but their use in schools is not as common as I think some people assume.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm no genius here, but how can homework not help a child LEARN. Not pass a standardized, but learn. One thing I am certain of, the more you practice something, the more you put yourself into a situation, the better you become. Saying homework doesn't help a child learn is like saying reading doesn't help a child read better.

The problem with the education system is that they have gotten away from the child's education as the number one goal. Now, the goal is to make sure they get the highest scores they can on these standardized test. Not to help the child, but to make sure the school maintains their status and funding.

Homework absolutely helps a child learn. It challenges their mind. Granted, some teachers give out garbage homework like crossword puzzles and that is just a waste of time. Real homework, things that challenge the students mind will help them learn.

19. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My kids go to a private school now so it's probably a bit different. One is in 3rd the other in 5th. Just about every night they have between 1/2 to an hour of homework. Always a math assignment and a Latin assignment, sometimes more. But they always have projects to work on as well and that is what typically takes the most time.

20. Wapsi13

Wapsi13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It does seem that way--that doing something obviously makes you better at it--but when it comes to homework could that be because that's the way we experienced it in school? But you do point out two great points 1. "Real Homework" rather than busywork is more beneficial to students. But since homework feels like something that always helps kids, often the work that is assigned is just stuff to do rather than something to truly engage with and further their understanding. 2. There is way too much of an emphasis placed on standardized tests. Unfortunately that is precipitated by mandates and policies that are out of the control of schools and teachers.