What's a good hog lure?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Bowhunter352, Jan 31, 2016.

1. PushmatahaHunter

PushmatahaHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Kool-aid would probably work I use strawberry jello mix sprinkle it on your corn and your good to go.

2. PushmatahaHunter

PushmatahaHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A tragic waste of good beer.

3. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used a mix one year that they LOVED

Take a 5 gallon bucket and fill almost to the top with corn. Add 1 gallon of milk, 4 packs of yeast, and a little water. Put the lid on that bucket and let it sit out in the sun for a week or two. Dig you a hole and dump half the mixture in it. Then cover the hole and put the rest of the mixture on top of the dirt. You could bury my truck in the hole that's there now from the hogs :tu:

4. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    The only issue with using diesel fuel to sour corn is the environmental affects. That diesel will seap into the ground and cause nothing to ever be able to grow there again. If there are any trees in the area it will also be absorbed through the roots and damage, or possibly kill the tree.

5. Bowhunter352

Bowhunter352 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I'm down with killing deer and hog but I think we do enough damage on our environment... Kills the woods trying to kill hogs ..I'll take my chances and use regular corn or kool-aid before I ruin the woods that my kids and/or grand kids get hunt and enjoy like I do

6. Bowhunter352

Dislikes Received:
    Ok so I'll be the first to admit that the diesel thing threw me for a loop..But after alot of research into I guess it's a popular thing here in Fla...I also read that people are taking carpet and wrapping it around a tree and soak it in old motor oil

7. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    I can see all of that attracting hogs. However, I personally would not call someone a "sportsman" for harming the enviroment like that, just to kill a hog. Yes the diesel may not harm a big hog, but hogs are not the only thing feeding on the corn and coming into contact with the deisel. What about the squirrels, raccoons, birds, and everything else feeding on that corn? A small dose of deisel that won't kill a hog may be to much for a squirrel. Just because it's legal does not mean it's the right thing to do... I'm not a big green guy, I personally drive a diesel. But I don't go pouring it all over the ground. Diesel can destroy natural forage and grasses that deer depend on to survive. I could go on and on about why it's not a good idea..

8. Bowhunter352

Dislikes Received:
    Never said I was gonna start pouring diesel fuel or motor oil all over corn...trust me I think it's just as crazy as you..

9. Daryl Bell

Dislikes Received:
    Oh no, that was not directed toward you or anyone on the thread. I wasn't being rude or confrontational either. It just blows my mind what people are willing to do just to harvest an animal. The mix I mentioned in a previous comment will not harm the enviroment and will keep the deer from eating it up. Regular corn does just fine, except the deer will eat it up too. One year I got 60 pounds of half rotten sweet potatoes for like $10 and the hogs loved those as well.

10. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Corn and Rice bran

11. Bowhunter352

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry took it the wrong way... I'm totally not a green person like I said I believe that we do enough to our environment so I'll pass on the diesel and oil..I can't believe it ain't illegal to do that

12. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are a number of tricks one can use that will attract pigs and not deer. One option would be to get baby pig starter pellets. They typically have whey, animal protein and fish meal. The last two items are unappealing to deer and actually will repell deer, but the hogs actually love the flavor and mix.

There is many more but go with that simple one...

13. successful failure

successful failure Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sour corn....one of our deer feeders got water in it and soured the corn real good. Went out there a couple weeks ago to take down game cam and there were 500 pictures on there that's over looking that feeder....all pigs.

14. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very interesting thread. I don't personally have a property with pigs, but some of my friends do. Although I would never use diesel or a carpet soaked in motor oil, that got my mind thinking but I do like the Kool-Aid idea. I'm kind of like the "research guy" for new products to try with my friends and there's one called Hog Wild...they go crazy for that stuff. You can get a bag for like $10..give it a shot

15. Bowhunter352

Dislikes Received:
    I tried the kool-aid and corn mix last week (fruit punch) kool-aid been busy with work and practice gonna try to go check it out this weekend will let y'all know