Team 4 - HONOVI HUNTERS Official Thread

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Jul 6, 2015.

1. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Team - I have between now and this Saturday to get something done here. Was out this past weekend...saw nothing. I think I will get two other hunts in before the season ends. I remain positive. Not sure I will see a buck however, have been getting closer and closer to doe.

I did get confirmation on a trail camera that the biggest deer I was chasing all season made it past the gun season!

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys.........I'm still getting after it. I spent Friday to Sunday hunting down in Fulton County, and then got up to my leases in Jo Daviess County in time to hunt yesterday and I'll stay here until tomorrow evenings hunt is done. My wife is out of town visiting family so I'm able to spend every spare minute getting after it until season closes on the 17th.

The good news is that the weather we need is finally here. Unfortunately my place in Fulton County was empty. With that said, we have several good bucks left in Jo Daviess, I had a nice 140" or so 8 pointer come in last night but hung up in the timber out of range. Tonight and tomorrow night I've also got good wind for the best late season spot we have, and we have gotten pics of a few good ones on that plot.

I'll keep everyone updated over the next two days, and good luck to those of you still in the woods!

3. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Matt!

4. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Matt - Have you changed the area you are targeting these bucks now that winter is set in? Hunting the same stands as early fall? As you hunted in rut? I'm looking for any last minute tips. I generally do not see much hornage in the late season for all the years I've been hunting. Trail cameras don't pick them up either. They are ghosts to me...

5. Rick James

Dislikes Received:

Im on food now that colder temps have finally arrived. I'm finding that they are bedding VERY close to food and hitting it randomly at all times of the day.

6. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I did end up shooting a die last day of December still need to get on and post it. I'm in Ohio trying to find a buck right now but using the muzzleloader. Warm today but temps are dropping and snow coming in tomorrow

7. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was out again for the last day. Disappointedly, I've failed to take a deer again this year. It was a good season, just no meat on the table. I'm sad to see the season end. First year I did not pick-up the muzzleloader in the late season and took the xbow the entire time.

Nick - Way to get it done and good luck with a buck!

Good luck to others with an open season left.

8. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Well sorry to say I didn't get him with a is but was able to fill my Ohio tag Sunday evening.
    [​IMG]

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats again bud! Never did get a buck down text..... :sad:

10. coheley665

Dislikes Received:
    Lol it was a pretty good scramble after the shot. Not very many people got a buck down text this time. Most found out through FB

11. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys.....my season is done. Congrats to those of you that were able to score this year......sorry I wasn't able to contribute.

I did end up sticking a doe last weekend on Saturday night. I thought the shot was back as I watched her bed about 30 yards away after the shot, and I bumped her when climbing down. I found the arrow which had a bit of gut matter on it, and decided to back out so I wouldn't have a goose chase on my hands. Came back first thing in the morning, and found her only 100 yards away. Or I should say I found less than half of her.......yotes got the entire hindquarters, backstraps, and one front shoulder. There was one quarter and her neck/head left......that's it. :sad:

It was a tough season for sure. I learned a LOT this year.......passed a few decent deer and a LOT of does early. I also gambled the entire first half of the season on a single deer and unfortunately didn't get it done when I finally had my chance at him. I'm already working to make sure my 2016 is season better though, have two new properties lined up that I'll be walking hopefully next weekend, hopefully going to have several more soon too.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  12. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just wanted to tell you all thanks for the fun year. It's been great being on the team with you all the past two seasons.

Sent from my SM-S820L

13. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was a great 2 seasons guys, enjoyed it.

14. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have this weekend left for a last effort. I'm hoping to make it out. If I don't check back in, it's been a blast the past 2 seasons with you guys. Take care fellas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk