Slider vs fixed sights

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kin0138, Jan 15, 2016.

1. kin0138

kin0138 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In the market to up grade my fixed pin sights. Looking for some info on sliders and single pin sights and is it truly worth switching I'm new to bow hunting some any information would be greatly appreciated

2. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the hogg father 3 pin slider.... Holy crap! Amazing! i set my pins at 25, 40, 50 yards. and my 50 is my pin for all other ranges up to 120 yards. it is a bit on the pricy side. but having bought quite a few sights, single pin and multi fixed in the past trying to find what i want. i wish i would have gone right for this one. I ordered mine with the 1-7/8" housing. it is much better than single pin because your most common hunting ranges are right there. and you avoid the clutter of a 7 pin sight, but still can practice out past 100 yards.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  3. jaydon691

jaydon691 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of options and a lot of opinions out there. And whatever works for the individual is what it is all about. For whatever it is worth; I have been bow hunting for over 30 years. We mostly tree stand hunt in the Northeast. That being said, I prefer the TruGlo adjustable pendulum sight. No ranging or guessing from a tree stand out to 35 yards. It also allows you the option to adjust the pin out to 100+ yards depending on the set up. It is inexpensive and works great on a hunting setup.

4. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking at the hogg father, how's the weight on that?

5. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It is a little on the heavy side. For me that isnt a problem. My bow is more set up like a olympic bow(12" stab, 8" back bar) than a "treestand" bow. My bow weights in at 7.4lbs(fully loaded) Thats 3lbs of accessories ... The reality of it is. it doesnt matter how much your bow weights. after a couple weeks of shooting its light as a feather again.

6. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of options as others have said.

I'm a fixed pin person myself. I just can't see fumbling around with a moveable site at the moment of truth to make sure the yardage is correct.

In my opinion, there is something many of us overlook. Today's bows are fast, very fast, compared to years in the past. If you're a new bowhunter, you probably have a limited range; say out to 40 yards. With a flat shooting bow, you can probably get away with less pins. I have been experimenting with reducing my setup to 2 pins. I have found that at my current speed of roughly 280fps, I get only a couple inches of drop from 20 to 30 yards. I get a little more drop from 30 to 40, but nothing a pin set at 33-35 yards probably couldn't take care of.

Just food for thought.

7. Bulldog18

Bulldog18 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went with Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg this year. Switched from the Spot Hogg Hunter. So far I a liking the single pin Tommy. Less sight clutter. As far as weight, I do not notice it when I am shooting.

8. Smitty0220

Smitty0220 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've wondered about this topic myself. Have used fixed pins for 20+ years and taken my share of deer. Like Jaydon said, here in New England, most shots are 20 yards or less. I cannot imagine trying to fiddle around with a movable sight as a deer is walking in my area (Muzzyman, I agree with you) I try to range certain trees or stumps in the area so I have a general idea of distances. I know everyone is different, but in a hunting scenario, I'm not sure twiddling with my sight as a deer approaches is good for me. I have enough trouble sitting still as it is!
    Any one who uses a movable sight want to tell about their experiences while hunting?

9. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using a spot hogg double min for my fast eddie and I like it so far. when my pin is set at 20 yards, my bottom pin on my double pin is at about 40 yards

10. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer the HHA sights. I have the 5519 and it is great. I like the way you can move the tapes if you change anything on your bow without having to completely re sight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had the same HHA for about 10 years now. It is a great durable sight.

12. JDUB

JDUB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also recommend a 3 pin slider...I have a Montana Black Gold Ascent 3 pin with the 3rd axis mount...set em at 20,30, 40 and I can set it up with my 20 yard pin as reference or my 40 yard pin as reference and essentially have a slider slight as said before out to 100+ yards. If you set your 40 yard pin as your reference you can shoot way out 100+ yards, but I like my 20 yard pin as my reference as I naturally tend to focus best on that top pin. I like the Black Gold Sight as they are lighter than most and have very bright pins. If you just want fixed pin and don't feel the need to shoot longer distances the Trophy Ridge React Pro 5 pin is about as good as they get IMO.

13. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a MBG Ascent Ambush single pin from the AT classifieds. So I don't have experience with one yet but I think most people set their pin at 25 yards or so and aim high or low depending on where the deer is at. So they only have to adjust if they're more than 30. It would require you practicing that to know how much your arrow drops but it saves you from adjusting as much.

14. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like a single pin sight, and have been using the HHA's for years. I just don't like the clutter of multiple pins.

15. jaydon691

jaydon691 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Smitty, where are you located? I am in CT. What I like about the TruGlo is that it is a single pin fiber optic that allows you the flexibility of a pendulum which as you are aware of around here is great because it removes all of the yardage guess work out of the equation from 0-35 yards and also the ability to adjust out to 80+ yards. It really is the best of both worlds. When I am in my tree stand, I loosen the screw and if and when the deer comes in, I put the pin dead on and let it fly regardless of yardage. On my way in and out of the stand, I lock the pendulum and I actually took a decent buck earlier this season in a field at 53 yards because I loosened the slider screw and adjusted the pin right in between the 50 and 55 yard mark on the tape and had a beautiful double lung that also severed a main artery to the heart. It is the most flexible sight I have ever had.

16. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use to have multiple pins and was nothing but annoying for me. I have now been using a HHA and its hands down the best I've ever owned. With today's bows being more powerfull you can almost use 1 pin out to nearly 30 yards and for some of the flatter shooting bows i'm sure you could touch 40 yards with the same pin.

for me i'm about 27 yards on the same pin, so that's nice for me when hunting. I know if I get a deer in range I only have to worry about 1 pin and if he is in that 30-35 range (35 is my max) then all I have to do is hold a tad high if any.