Crossbows...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Jan 17, 2016.

1. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    why do you want more hunters in your woods? this sounds bad but I actually discourage people from hunting. why do we need to keep hunter numbers up. less hunters means bigger deer and more of them. if you like having large hunter numbers then come to PA. everybody hunts here. I like going in the woods and not seeing people. but that's mere impossible. we have hunters everywhere. adding seasons and weapons to keep people in the woods is just trying to keep revenue pouring into the state. our deer numbers are down and begging people to hunt just to create tax dollars is embarrassing. most people when they go hunting want to see game. well with low deer numbers means seeing less deer in turn makes people lose interest. and I will be one of the first to say I do not have the same common goal to shoot deer as everyone else. the statement that guys make that "we all need to get along because we all have the same goal to shoot deer no matter what type of weapon" doesn't include me. I love the challenges that hunting offer and I have no interest in choosing a path that makes it easier unless there is something out of my control that happens to me. this is my thoughts about it and someone else may think totally opposite and I'm fine with that as long as they are truly happy.

2. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sad that people think like this.

If you had a best friend... Or even a child and they expressed interest in shooting a crossbow and crossbow hunting only would you tell them no, the woods has no place for crossbows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PushmatahaHunter

PushmatahaHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that it takes more time, dedication, and skill in general to become profecint with a compound over a crossbow.

For those who think allowing crossbows into the archery season will ruin there states bowhunting or drastically reduce deer numbers I understand were your coming from I've been in your shoes. Oklahoma allowed crossbows in 2010 I wasn't happy and I just knew a sh** storm was on the way. But to my suprise it never came. Five hunting seasons later and there has been no significant rise in archery harvest numbers (in fact the last couple seasons averages have been low due to drought). Archery license sales did increase about 15% on average for those 5 years, not the dramatic rise many thought would happen. These are statistics anyone can look up with a little bit of research. I should say that the comments and opinions above are strictly about Oklahoma I have no knowledge on how crossbows have effected any other state.

4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought "cross guns" was the most ridiculous thing I would read in this thread...I was wrong!

5. PushmatahaHunter

PushmatahaHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know that I could ever understand why someone wouldn't want to share their love of the outdoors with at least family and close friends. Selfishness plain and simple. More hunters equals more support for hunters rights less hunters equals less opportunities to hunt not more.

6. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well in my state, in the zone i live in. they issue over 3,000 tags as it is with a 4.7% success rate during general season. not to mention with the very dry winters we have had sense 2007. deer populations have dropped like like crazy. last season i didnt even see a single 3x3. if they allowed crossbows in the archery only areas, and during archery season. i think the population of deer would defiantly die off.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Because of crossbows? Are you serious?

8. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    I dont think the deer population can sustain regardless. mostly because of poachers, and drought conditions. making it any easier to hunt the deer wont help the situation, and that includes bringing crossbows into archery zones.

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Explain why deer populations will decrease if crossbows were allowed please???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is it "easier" to get tough shots off with a crossbow? Without question.

However, the hunter still needs to do the work in the off season to locate the spot, have the mental stamina to sit through low activity times and the inclement weather. The truely lazy hunters referenced so often simply won't do this. Therefore, the states that do allow their use don't see the drastic upticks predicted by so many.

11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Before we throw tc under the bus lets take a look at the facts. Pennsylvania has almost 3 times the population of Minnesota and 4 times the population of Oklahoma. While Pennsylvania is almost 1/2 the size of Minnesota and about equal to Oklahoma.
    If every time you went to the woods you had to worry more about seeing people than seeing deer would you have as good of a time? I would imagine not. The thing about opinions is they are just that and they are based on personal experiences. So if every time or 9 out of 10 you go hunting and never see another person you would think that it wouldn't hurt to introduce people to the sport but, what if 9 out of 10 times you go you see someone hunting in the same "area" as you, wouldn't you want to keep the numbers where they are or even decrease a little? I'm fortunate enough to live in a state that the deer numbers and size of deer are what I would consider above average. I've never hunted in an area that people were thicker than deer. Missouri is half again bigger than Pennsylvania and with 1/2 as many people.
    All I am saying is that we put ourselves in someone else's shoes before we make fun of their opinion.

12. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    southern california is much the same. there is alot of land. but during hunting season. you will defiantly see more hunters than deer. that goes double outside of the archery only areas. not to mention 4x4s, and quads loaded with hunters spooking deer. and the hunters here are recluse. a few miles from my house a hunter killed a great dane a guy had with him while gathering firewood. guy claimed he thought it was a deer. deer have to be fork horned or better.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bet the dog would have lived if the hunter didn't gut it.:lol:

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used a crossbow for 4 seasons because of a broken shoulder and collar bone. I was grateful the possibility existed. But I found a whole new set of challenges with my crossbow. One time I had a 150" buck come in on top of me before I knew it. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't find his vitals in my scope!!! He was too close! He stood there for about 30 seconds and I never got a shot off....another time I had a nice doe come in and my scope had too much moisture on it. Another time i took a shot at a decent buck and an "invisible branch" deflected the arrow/bolt whatever you wanna call it. Try getting a follow up shot with a crossbow while hanging 25 ft in the air in your climber.Which I did manage to do but it probably looked like a monkey effing a football trying to cock the thing. Believe me, as soon as I could draw a bow again I bought a new one and my crossbow has sat in the case in my garage ever since. They are nowhere near as fun to shoot as a compound and they ARE easier, BUT...... they include their own challenges and limitations as well. I was relieved to go back to my compound. They are lighter, easier to carry, less awkward in general. I would say from the ground a crossbow is easier but from a tree the crossbow was a pain in the A$$!!!

15. jaydon691

jaydon691 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have several observations since the legalization of crossbows in CT. 1)There is a noticeable increase in hunters. I do not mind an increase in responsible hunters but I do mind the kind of hunters that take a bow certification class, purchase a crossbow at the local box retailer, shoot a couple of arrows and then go into the woods to shoot a deer which leads me to number 2) I have seen numerous injured deer in the past few seasons and 2 deer I took this year had broad heads lodged in them. One buck I would normally have passed on was skin and bones and looked so sick that I decided to shoot him and found a broad head and half of a crossbow bolt that was a result of a "hunter" shooting him from straight on through the brisket. The deer was full of infection. Another I shot had a lump in its hind quarter the size of a baseball from a broad head stuck in it, again infected. These are the results of inexperienced hunters lacking the patience to wait on the proper shot. 3) It makes me sick to go to the local ****'s Sporting Goods to pick up some scent killer and soap and listen to these guys talk. They talk about the 63 yard shot they took and if only their crossbow was faster they might have killed it. And the other day I was listening to a guy that was saying that he would like to try a compound bow but doesn't have the time to practice which is why he shoots a crossbow. I own a crossbow. I sometimes take my crossbow hunting. I am not opposed to crossbows. I personally prefer my vertical and take it every time I can but I have a torn rotator cuff and when I aggravate it, I will take my crossbow. I will also say that I have to bench rest my crossbow to be as accurate with it as I am with my compound bow. They have their place and are certainly a lot of fun to shoot, that being said, I am fine with educated hunters using them, I just feel that they should have a designated season for them like firearms and muzzleloader seasons currently do. That is my opinion and not meant to upset anyone.

16. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Food Plot I was born in Pennsylvania and first deer hunted there before I moved to Minnesota. I know things are different but that doesn't change the fact that was a pretty selfish comment.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah perhaps selfish but if you have had trail cams and tree stands stolen, numerous conflicts on public land, damage to your truck while it is parked while you hunt and have not seen a decent buck in years how are you going to tell somebody it's great fun and invest the $ in hunting equipment?

18. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know much about anybody on here or too many places other than Missouri. I've worked in numerous states but only hunted in a couple. I don't know his exact situation or yours Tom. I don't know his or your age. I'm just trying to give the benefit of the doubt.
    I made a comment on here once that struck a nerve. I probably should've just kept playing with out boys but I made a comment that left me wide open for attack. It wasn't no time and everyone jumped off the deep end on my comment. There are just times I wish people would ask "why" instead of assume or just think the worst. JMO

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is kinda true that crossbow fans do not accept any argument that includes not considering crossbows archery equipment. Crossbows are not a magic weapon that is going to encourage kids to pick up hunting it will attract hunters that think learning to shoot a bow is too difficult and they want a crack at the deer before the gun hunters. I am sorry but when you see kids under 10 shooting deer with a crossbow don't tell me that a crossbow is not easier than a bow.

20. PushmatahaHunter

PushmatahaHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'll admit I have little experience hunting pressured ground almost all of my deer hunting is done on private ground that my family owns or leases in Oklahoma. I rarely see another person while hunting and if I do its a family member, someone I invited, or a trespasser I can kick off. Maybe my feelings would be different if I'd grown up hunting pressured ground. As hunters we all would like to have large tracts of private land that we cold have to ourselves but I can't imagine actively deterring people from hunting.