Crossbows...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bryan Jeffrey, Jan 17, 2016.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    But did the Xbow guys hunt over bait. That is the real question.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Actually my head is so far out of the sand that I know the issue is not going to be considered for change in this legislative session.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is the new air gun crossbow ok for archery season too? It is hard for the elderly and some kids to cock a crossbow. We need to be fair to everyone and open the sport up for more people. (Yes, this is just a troll. Carry on.)

4. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This session........

SCFox

5. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hahaha. I new this post would stir some sh*t up... but it really went down faster than i thought!! 3 pages and now its like wtf.

6. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    what about the people that have trouble cocking a breach barrel air gun? let those people use bolt action 30.06 during archery season. its only fair...

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There does not seem to be support for the change other than the MDHA and that decision may fracture the organization, no other groups are endorsing or pushing for the change. I will stay on it and continue my support for current status of crossbow use.

8. PushmatahaHunter

PushmatahaHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The southern Canadians took over the thread.

9. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Look at some archery history of when the ancient Chinese used ivory thumb hooks as release aids for their longbows. I really hate this crossgun issue. On one hand, it's a wedge issue when we shouldn't be fighting amongst ourselves. On the other, many of the reasons I myself don't care for crossguns in the archery season BY ABLE BODIED PEOPLE is the fact of many of the comments I hear from crossgun shooters....." it's so easy"...."I don't have to practice"...It's like shooting a gun". ......and my favourite "if I have to shoot one of those GD things (when referring to compounds and recurves) "I'd never hunt".
    In my particular area, the herd cannot handle the pressure of all those extra people in the field. One other thing, I don't refer to deer as "my deer ". Much of my opinion comes from respect to the animal in regards to over harvesting.
    Particularly in my area, crossgun shooters outnumber "verticle " archers about 5 to 1.

10. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the conversation about being able to buy booze in MN on Sunday is better than someone using a term like cross gun.

11. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You elitist... why do you care what somebody else does. Sure it is a much easier weapon to master than a compound and has drawing advantages, but come on.....Today's compound bows are pretty easy to master as well with 80% let off and fancy sights and releases......

Here is a solution. Get rid of Archery Season Only except for traditional bow hunters dressed in moccasins and loin cloth and hunting from the ground, and any other weapon/method can only be used in the General Season.....Are you happy now?

12. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The only thing i know about the Packers is that Reggie White cried because he couldnt beat the Cowboys..... Oh for the good old days

13. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So Ford vs Chevy. Go!!

14. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The number of hunters in our country has been on a fairly steep decline. I think we are being selfish to limit our thinking to what only suits our wants or needs. At some point, our numbers get so small that we get run over. I would rather add a few more pockets to the world of hunters.

I know it was a thrill for me to help my father-in-law find the doe that he shot with a crossbow this year. His first ever deer that he shot by himself and his first with archery equipment. And, he is over 70. Call the weapon anything you like. Look down your nose at the method or him. But, if you do, shame on you. He bought ground and built blinds and a cabin and is new to the world of hunting. And, he has introduced a couple of his buddies to the world of hunting. All because a crossbow opened up an opportunity to him that would not exist without it.

The most common arguments I hear to the negative are that it will add people to the woods. And, there will be fewer deer. Selfish much??

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch, in Minnesota for example there have been fewer hunting licenses sold, is it lack of hunter interest? It is more of a management issue people are not going to continue to go if they are not successful. That being said I applaud you and your FIL getting into hunting, thing is here in Minnesota that he could hunt with a crossbow without change to the existing archery laws.

16. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This thread made me laugh a little with some of the opinions.

Then I read the original poster's thread directly below this about how this extraordinarily hard and skilled sport of archery is allowing him to shoot 4 inch, 100 yard groups....then I laughed a little bit more.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

17. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    i never said "extraordinarily hard". but it takes alot more dedication than a crossbow, and it is totally different. shooting a crossbow is much more like shooting a rifle. where shooting a compound is much more like traditional archery. my original post on this thread was a statment that crossbows and compound are much different. I really dont care what anyone else hunts with.

18. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    First, shooting a crossbow is no where near as easy as shooting a rifle. Second, you still have to get deer in close for a harvest. Third, more hunters around is a very, very good thing.

19. Killkenny

Killkenny Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    GET OVER IT!!! Crossbow inclusion soon will be in every state. Crying and whining about them invading "your" woods while your out with your vertical should be at the very lowest priority on the list that's important in life. They have been legal in my state now for the last three years and I still have fun in the deer woods. BHOD is one of the best on the net. Keep it that way. Threads like this does nothing positive for it or our sport and the out come is always the same. A waste of band width

20. DeepSouthDad

DeepSouthDad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I for one see no problem with crossbows in Louisiana. We have several archery only WMAs around me and guess what you may see one guy there every once in a while. So even though everyone around here has a crossbow now they don't ever use them much. I use mine but personally I prefer a bow. If you are shooting at targets yeah you could probably make a case against crossbows in an archery competition against bows. The last time I checked hunting wasn't a competition and the most able bodied don't own the deer. More hunters don't = less dear. Maybe you will see less for a few years due to pressure but the population will go up if that's the case and new hunters with no skill to get a bow shot at < 50 yards will soon give up or face the challenge and seek more challenging ways to kill deer. Bow hunting has little to do with the equipment and a lot to do with the mentality of it being challenging. Lazy people who buy crossbows because it's "so easy" will find out that is not the case and go back to their big nice box stands with 400 yard shooting lanes rifle hunting only.