First Bow Advice: PSE Brute X, Bowtech Fuel, Bear Cruzer, Carbon Rose

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by SkyeRayne, Jan 17, 2016.

1. SkyeRayne

SkyeRayne Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to the sportand I'm still trying to decide on my first bow. I had originallypurchased an SAS Rage from online, but learned that it may not be thebest bow for me. Plus I'm looking for a left-handed bow and this oneonly comes in right. I basically narrowed it down to a few optionsfor my first bow.

1. The shop I boughtthe SAS from has a PSE Brute X. It's new, but the older 2012 or 2013model. They said they could work with me on price since I'm returningthe original bow I bought. The guy said he could do about $300 forthat one, but since it's an older model, I can't really find anycurrent prices on that bow, so I don't know if I should go for it.It's also a bit heaver from what I've seen in reviews.

2. A “local”archery shop recommended a Bowtech Fuel for about $499, since I wasasking about the Diamond Infinite Edge. The sales rep said it'sbasically the same bow. I did some research and it looks like thesame bow with better cams?

3. I found a dealfrom an online hunter's shop with a Bear Cruzer package for $499.This pretty much includes the accessories, a bag and some arrows.

4. Last option isfrom the local archery shop again. They have a Bowtech Carbon Rosefor $499 and they said it usually sells for a lot more than that.What exactly is the difference between a women's bow and a men's bow?

I know I should goand shoot all these to see which is the most comfortable, but I'mpretty new to shooting and wouldn't really know how to tell what tolook for. Any advice on which route I should go?

2. in_the_woods_of_WV

in_the_woods_of_WV Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a 2015 PSE Bowmadness 30 for $ 449.00 from americanarchery.com. It has a 55 - 70 # draw weight . And i believe up to 30 inches of draw length. And an IBO of 324 . Im very happy with it. I orderd it on the 14 th and recieved it the 16th.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot them and then decide which one shoots the best feels the best to you.
    While you may spend a little bit more, since you're new to the sport, working with a good shop is worth the extra you pay for the bow. They will help you get started on a good path and help you not develop bad habits that can be hard to fix down the road. Having a bow fit you right and feel good, helps shooting be fun and if it's fun, you will shoot more and if you shoot more, you're likely to get better and mostly have more fun.

4. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's what feels good to you. I had a Brute X and its a great bow.

Sent from my SM-S820L

5. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot em all and pick the one that feels best to you. I have the Brute X and really like it.

6. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a Brute X 3 years ago for $389 bare, and still shooting it. I have no intention of replacing it anytime soon, unless I win some contest. It shoots fast enough, and with new strings I can group 50 yards pretty well.
    Change the strings immediately, I didn't think it was a big deal, but many PSE shooters all say the PSE strings are junk. At $300 that leaves you with $199 to buy a sight, rest, strings, stabilizer etc. If the bow was on the shelf I wouldn't worry about the year, PSE changed the Brute to "Surge", really was just a new sticker, same bow. This year they brought back the Brute Force, looks like they added a cam to the top limb. and added $100 to the tag.
    If you are starting, this is where I see the best value for your money.

Tags: