Official Team 21 Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by SparrowHawk, Sep 9, 2009.

1. wmdbambibuster

wmdbambibuster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well just got back from the morning sit, it was a little windy and cool but i didn't see squat!:mad: Might go back out tonight to new property or may just stay here watch some football. But Gd luck all!

2. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Went out this morning, had a spike walk by at about 15 yards. I keep getting the little guys to walk by me! This is the first year I promised myself I would no longer shoot young bucks, and it's like they know lol! I ended up moving my stand, I really hope it doesn't end up being a bad decision.

Look here, I would appreciate anyone offering any pointers.

Heres the property I'm hunting

Yellow- Corn
    Blue- Swamps/ Bedding

What spots stick out to you? I will post one with where my stands are currently located after I get some insight from the team, thanks!

[​IMG]

3. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys...just got in from the pm sit. Had one small doe come by about 20mins before dark, and I thought for sure I was gonna get a shot. Unfortunately she came down behind and to my right. I waited her out and she began to move across...and was about 8 ft from my shooting lane, and at about 17yds. Perfect! Of course, she stopped. LOL, it never fails. She turned back around and went out straight behind me...never gave me a shot. She was a perfect morsel too...about 60-70lbs, 1.5yr old. Oh well, next time.

SH...that spot looks good! I wish I had some crops to hunt. Obviously its hard not seeing it, but my first thoughts of places I would possibly hang would be that middle section somewhere close to where you have the blue dots, and maybe down near the bottom between the corners of the three fields come together. I also like where that horseshoe shaped road comes in....looks like that would be easy access, and that appears to be a semi open area there at the bottom of the road. That area might be a good staging area coming out of those beds. You probably have a maze of trails with all that crop relatively close. Curious to see where you sit.

Oh, and regarding my sons game....he went in untouched from the 2....QB sneak. He was jacked! :D
    He made a bunch of tackles on d also. It was funny, he is the main QB (only one really - kinda scarey that we don't really have a back up) so he's in on offense the whole game. He also plays 1st d...normally defensive end, sometimes safety. He rolled his ankle last weekend pretty bad, so he didn't practice much this week at all, basically walking through the drills. Coach said he was only gonna play him at QB -- no defense this week. Game night, he's feeling pretty good...I had his ankle wrapped and taped good. 3/4 of the way through the 1st qtr....the coach calls him over and says get in there at corner, they're getting killed! LOL, he's never played 1 play at corner ever! He did a great job...now the coach wants to move him to corner permanently. Proud of him, he's doing great. We have about half a dozen kids that really understand the game pretty well, and aren't afraid to hit. The rest are still learning, and some of them are still scared to death. Its alot of fun at this age. Some big kids too...11-13 and we have from 75lbs to 180lbs on our team. :eek:
    Ok, time to go watch FL beat LSU! :D

Good luck guys, lets get some more points on the board! I'll probably be back out one day during this coming week.

4. wmdbambibuster

Dislikes Received:
    SH This is some of the places i would try. From looking at the map im no expert of looking at these but those areas that look promising. Gd Luck.

Where are you hunting that land at now? Just wondering if i was close at all.:D

Attached Files:

5. wmdbambibuster

Dislikes Received:
    Here is my new property not real big but it will do. See if anyone sees anything gd to hunt on here?

Blue is property line
    Red are some hollows that run through property.

Attached Files:

6. wmdbambibuster

Dislikes Received:
    Im sorry guys this is the property i cut part of it off on the last one.

Dark Blue Property line
    Light Blue Creek

Attached Files:

7. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    wmd where are they bedding? What are they eating?

8. wmdbambibuster

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure yet. Havent got to look around to much, going down this week to find some spots and nose around a little:D

9. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry, guys. I just missed a good one. He wasn't real tall, but had heavy beams, 18"+ wide and at least 10pts. I'll be back tomorrow. I didn't scare him too bad.

10. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    dang RB! Good luck at getting another crack at him!

11. WV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ouch! Well that is a bummer :( I hope you get another crack at him RB. At least you didnt gimp him up, hopefully he'll be back around. I'd love to see one like that, they are VERY rare where I hunt. I've never taken a 10pt in 20+yrs, gun or bow.

Keep plugging guys...it should start to heat up soon. I've seen alot of deer activity the past few days. Had 11 in my yard the other day, all does and little ones and one spike, and have seen ALOT of deer driving up and down the roads. Saw 2 bucks this morning taking the kids to school, running with 4 does.

I'm gonna try to get out here in the next couple days. I wanted so bad to go this morning but couldn't make it happen - and dang was it an awesome morning. About 40 deg, no wind...beautiful. :( Now its raining and supposed to rain all day tomorrow too (the one day I have free this week). grrr

Keep up the good work...I'm off to my sons football game! Gonna be a sloppy one, I expect fumbles and interceptions LOL :D

Oh, and SH...in practice yesterday they were working on some new pass plays....he throws one about 35yds, perfect spiral. I couldn't believe it. I know I couldn't throw one that far, that well. Of course it was about 20ft further than the receiver, LOL but hey...the coach said "wow, that was a nice pass"
    What do you expect from an 11yo :D

12. wmdbambibuster

Dislikes Received:
    Thats sucks RB but dont discouraged you will get another crack at him!:D

13. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I just got off work, got my scentlock in the dryer. I'm hoping to get a few hours sleep before I give it anouther try. I haven't gotten a pic off the one I missed but I have a couple of good 9 pointers showing up for the camera.

14. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a couple of pics. I'll take either one of them, but the one I missed was much bigger! What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. wmdbambibuster

Dislikes Received:
    Very Nice pics RB gd luck putting them on the ground:D

16. WV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey RB....looks good. That is the same buck...he's hanging around, likes your spot. Kinda cool rack, has some character to it. Good luck with the big boy, hope he comes back by!

What is the dirt spot? Did you put something down there?

17. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    They are two different bucks. The top one has a split brow tine on the right and is kind of chocolate horned. That's the only pic I have of him. The bottom buck has two sets of brow tines with lighter horns. He's hanging around. I've got several pics of him.The dark spot is a mineral lick. I have feed 100 lbs of trace minerals this season. They love it. It's a lot cheaper than deer cocain. You can pick up a 50 lb bag at the feed store for about $6. Just make sure baiting is legal in your state. It is here.

18. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Nice looking buck RB! I think you'll get another crack at the him if he wasn't too spooked, especially when things start heating up! He'll be back:D

Mike, awesome to hear about your son! 35yds? wow that's a heck of a throw. I actually just had a bet with my cousin who can throw a football farther, I can rocket one about 60 yards.

On a hunting note I'm about to do a couple mock scrapes to get some big boys on camera. I purchased one of the active scrape drippers, going to see how well that works. For the other location I'll pry just put down a whole bunch of Code Blue urine. I have a spot that I'm new to hunting this year, it is way less pressured then where I currently have been hunting for the last 4 years.There is a lot more land, and I'm pretty sure much bigger bucks. It also hasn't been bow hunted barely ever! I found rubs on this property bigger then anything I've ever seen here in W Michigan. This pic was taken with my phone, so not the greatest quality.
    [​IMG]

Took it about two weeks ago, looked fresh to me! I have a stand about 100yds W and another 100yds N of this Rub, I also saw quite a few other decent size rubs closer to my W stand. My question is where would you place a mock scrape?

19. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    SH You have some nice sign there. Hope you stick him.
    Neither one of those bucks pictured is the one I missed. He is the bull of the woods, much BIGGER.

20. mcorso

mcorso Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sorry I havnt checked in, I lost my phone when i went to my property to hook up the wood burning stove. I found it a few days later, and I must have ran it over, so I got another phone today. I havent been out, mostly due to rain, but Ive had a ton of family coming through from out of town, my mom is coming next week, after that it will be on! I cant believe this weather, im seeing bucks dead on the freeway already, and my buddy thought a tree had snapped and fell not far from him in his treestand, but it turned out to be a couple of bucks battling it out, the big one chased the little one right to his stand, and then HE showed up, but never offered a shot, he guessed him at 140 maybe, but the buck was glorious because he was all swoll up and "flexing" from his battle, plan to get out at least one day this weekend,hope all is well.mike